Review by Caylie_Cat -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of th...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by Caylie_Cat -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of th...

Post by Caylie_Cat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Archive by Jordan David, is the sequel to The Elf Brief, which the first book in The Magi Charter series. Book Two continues the story of the magic land of the North Pole and it's inhabitants. The Mission of the North Pole is to spread love, joy, and peace to every deserving human in the world on Christmas Eve.

The first book hinted at how elves are recruited from among the human population, and assigned to their roles in the complex, finely organised system that produces gifts for Santa to distribute. The opening scene of The Elf Archive is a much stronger allusion to the recruitment process but does not completely explain it, nor identify the elf who was enlisted. We cut back to the North Pole, and the story carries on from where The Elf Brief left off.

Noel Night is now the Head of a new Department. He is, in fact, the only elf currently in this Department, but he has been given a very important quest to fulfill. Woven into this mystery are the strange dreams that Noel has been having nearly every night. The quest and the dreams don't seem to be connected, but how will Noel complete one while being distracted and exhausted by the other? Why are the retired elves suddenly being so helpful to Noel, and what is the ancient knowledge that some other Department Heads seem so eager to keep hidden?

There are fast-paced action scenes featuring flying reindeer races, surfing competitions, and inexplicable ‘accidents’ that narrowly avoid tragic consequences. Oh, and there may even be a little romance budding in Santa’s life, but how will he choose the right Mrs. Claus?

Overall, The Elf Archive is a thoughtful and intricately-planned tale with enough threads in the storyline to keep a reader interested, but not enough to become confusing. The characters are not gripping, but they are engaging enough that I cared about what happened to them. I feel Santa's character could be explored and explained in more depth, as he is, after all, Santa of the North Pole. The ending brought some parts of the story to a conclusion, but the author made it very clear that there will be another exciting installment to follow…

My biggest disappointment with both of Jordon David's Elf books that I mentioned is the quality of editing and the appalling number of errors I noticed. Over-done or absent commas, typographical slips, words missing, misspellings, and wrongly-used words are in almost every paragraph. Some sentences are so badly constructed or damaged by errors, that they are barely coherent. It appears to me that the author simply sat at the computer, typed furiously until the story finished, then published it as it was.

I quite enjoyed this reading this book, and I admire the author's imagination and plot-planning skills. For this reason, I would have awarded it 4 stars. However, the poor editing annoyed me so much that I would have liked to deduct 1.5 points if that were possible, but have settled on 3 out of 4 stars. Adult readers who prefer action-packed thrillers or suspenseful mysteries may find this book a bit dull. It is completely G-rated and is suitable for older children and adult readers who appreciate a gentle, kindly sort of story – a bit like Santa Claus is reputed to be.

The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Caylie_Cat's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I much prefer exciting reads, and it is a pity that there were so many errors present. I'll be giving this a pass, but thanks for the review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

gen_g wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 01:22 I much prefer exciting reads, and it is a pity that there were so many errors present. I'll be giving this a pass, but thanks for the review!
Thanks for taking the time to comment!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This looks like an interesting book. It's a pity the errors are so many in the book. I think I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

T_stone wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 04:36 This looks like an interesting book. It's a pity the errors are so many in the book. I think I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Although I enjoyed reading this one, I appreciate it is not everyone's cup of tea. Thank you for reading my review.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a really fun book! It's such a shame about all of the editing errors. If the author cleans that up, I would consider reading this one. I enjoyed reading your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Nice review! You are generous with your rating - I think I would have subtracted 2 stars based on the editing if it was that bad. However, a good story can definitely help redeem a book.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

joshfee77 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 23:15 Nice review! You are generous with your rating - I think I would have subtracted 2 stars based on the editing if it was that bad. However, a good story can definitely help redeem a book.
As an author myself, I always prefer to give credit where it is due as we all need a bit on encouragement now and again, but in this day and age I don't find any excuse for publishing with as many errors as this book has. Thanks for the comment.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Nicely written review. I was thinking whether to review this series of books or not. I think I have made my mind. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's always unfortunate when bad editing ruins a good story. I hope the author gets an editor on board soon. This is not the book for me. Thanks for the superb review!
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

This sounds like it would be great for younger readers who like a little fantasy and love holiday magic if it were better edited. It's always so frustrating to piece through a poorly edited book! Thanks for the review!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Eva Darrington wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 22:57 What a really fun book! It's such a shame about all of the editing errors. If the author cleans that up, I would consider reading this one. I enjoyed reading your review.
Thanks for leaving a comment, Eva!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Sushan wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 06:47 Nicely written review. I was thinking whether to review this series of books or not. I think I have made my mind. Thank you 👍👍
When you enjoy a story, reading the series is definitely appealing. Thanks for your comment.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

M Zee wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 23:55 This sounds like it would be great for younger readers who like a little fantasy and love holiday magic if it were better edited. It's always so frustrating to piece through a poorly edited book! Thanks for the review!
I get annoyed at books aimed at young readers that don't take more care to teach good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thanks for reading my review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Ever_Reading wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 11:25 It's always unfortunate when bad editing ruins a good story. I hope the author gets an editor on board soon. This is not the book for me. Thanks for the superb review!
This series has about eight books planned and I hope the editing improves. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”