Review by Rosebella -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Review by Rosebella -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Rosebella »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis is a memoir. This book chronicles the real-life events of Dan "Tito" Davis as written by Peter Conti. It details his beginnings and his involvement in the drug trade. It also describes the events that occurred during the 13 years he spent on the run from the law. Dan Davis is born and raised in a town in South Dakota. He comes from humble beginnings and both of his parents are hard-working people. How does a small town boy become an international fugitive? In high school, he gets an opportunity to work at horse racing track and he is able to make a lot of money. This opens the door to luxuries that even his parents couldn't afford.

He joins college and that is where he comes into contact with his first drug. The White Cross (Ephedrine) is a pill that most of the students are using to enhance the outcomes in their studies and exams. Due to financial constraints, he becomes interested in their sale and distribution. Dan joins the University of Las Vegas and becomes involved with Bandidos Motorcycle club. It is there he begins to distribute the White Crosses on a larger scale. Over time when he gets married, he shifts to the new drug of choice in the market, Cocaine. A drug which at that time is a preserve of the rich. The law catches up with him and he gets arrested and serves time in prison.

After serving his sentence when gets out he shifts his focus to Marijuana. At that point his life changes dramatically when he is betrayed by a man, he regarded as a friend. To avoid imprisonment his only option is to run away. This is where his journey as an international fugitive begins. He finds unlikely allies and friends in members of the Medellin cartel. The most powerful criminal organization in Colombia at that time. His top priority is to learn Spanish and to get a false identification to help evade capture. Throughout his quest, he has a few close calls and almost near captures, which in hindsight he also regards as stupid. He finds love again and ventures into new business opportunities. During this time he travels all around South America, India, and Europe. Well, nothing lasts forever, and the law finally catches up with him.

This is an action-packed life story of a man on the run. This book is a real page-turner, and it had me at the edge of my seat from the beginning to the end. It grabs hold of your attention and never let's go. There many instances that I had to backtrack because my mind couldn't grasp the idea that these events were real. Peter Conti does a great job of bringing together Dan's story. I literally did not feel like I was reading a book, but it felt like I had been given front row access to follow Dan Davis' life as it happened. By the end of the book, I was left speechless. Each of the events is vividly detailed. The happenings in this book are just amazing. My biggest question as I concluded was, "Is there a movie adaptation of this book?" An idea I surmised is still in the process.

There are so many things I liked about the book that it is hard to pick a few. The book is well-edited. Unlike some memoirs or autobiographies, this book does not bog you down with facts. Various phrases and words are highlighted and explained within the text, so the reader's pace of reading isn't interrupted. Peter Conti brings simplicity to such an amazing story. He gives us enough information to keep us appraised of the situations and enjoy reading it too. I am a big fan of true crime stories, so this book did not disappoint. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because this is the highest rating that I can give. The story basically over took over everything, and I became totally engrossed in reading it. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read memoirs. This is a book every true crime fanatic will love. Die-hard fans of the "Narcos" series will definitely enjoy reading this book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosebella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Quite an informative review. I agree with you that the book is engaging. I read and reviewed the book and I must say you did a great job in your review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Rosebella
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosebella »

Nerea wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 15:30 Quite an informative review. I agree with you that the book is engaging. I read and reviewed the book and I must say you did a great job in your review. Kudos.
Thank you.
–Stephen King

–Ernest Hemingway

–Mason Cooley
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Nice review with full details regarding the book. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Rosebella
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosebella »

Sushan wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 23:49 Nice review with full details regarding the book. Thank you 👍👍
:techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :tiphat:
–Stephen King

–Ernest Hemingway

–Mason Cooley
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I also enjoyed reading this book. Mostly I loved an important message the story beholds. Gringos strong and fierce character had an influence on me. Also, loved engaging humor of the author. Thanks for an interesting review.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”