Review by Flowers123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Review by Flowers123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Flowers123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is one of those books that will leave you pondering. You'll laugh, cry, feel hatred, judgmental, and even revise your initial judgment of the main character.

Hiram McDowell is a reputable surgeon, a philanthropist, a mountain climber, a professional backup singer, a charismatic leader, and a one-time Secretary of Health, nominated by the US President. However, all that seems to be on the surface. In his core personality, you'll find him selfish, narcissistic, and uncaring. Hiram seems to have issues with being faithful to one woman. He prefers not to expend unnecessary emotions on them. Those emotions are reserved for the big donors of his foundation in Nepal. His third wife Carole is as miserable as his previous wives. And his children suffer the consequences of his attitudes. They're deprived of what it means to be a real family. Though now grown-ups, they're unable to fit-in properly. Ann now married, lives in a persistent state of anxiety and depression, unable to properly raise her children. While Sophie and Billie are rife with different issues. For a surgeon who cares for others, it's not hard for Hiram to make people feel belittled, inferior, and demeaned. He often shows lack of consideration for the feelings of others and is completely absorbed in personal achievement and wealth. But all that seems to change when things begin to go downward spiral for him.

Hiram is a Regent in the International College of Surgeons, but he thinks he needs to be the president. To achieve that, he enlists the support of a colleague with the promise of a mouth-watering position. Hiram gets what he wants but fail to deliver on his promise. This behavior angers the colleague who vows to destroy him. He becomes the health secretary confirmed, but his life is immediately ruined due to a family tragedy. In his bid to salvage whatever is left, he commits a felony that leads to his ultimate punishment. The result is his journey of self-discovery. His many encounters with people whom ordinarily he wouldn't have hung with, reveal what a changed man he has become. But will he succeed in his quest to rebuild his life, and garner the always-desired esteem?

William H. Cole's McDowell is a fascinating story. It is an in-depth portrayal of the principle of cause and effect. Of what you do today might haunt you tomorrow. This set me thinking about the lives we lead. Which I believe is the primary purpose of this story to set you thinking. The first half of the book showed Hiram in all his glory. As a man who is in charge of his life. But the second half portrayed him as a total float that is driven by his situations. Often alone he tries as much as possible never to be found as he journeys from place to place meeting new people and hiding from the law. It appears he would not have had this experience if he was just a little more attentive to people when he had money, power, and fame.

The book has an incredible character plot that touched on many aspects of life. One of such is the role of parents in their children's lives. Another is how family conflict and decadence affect children and are responsible for so many troubled young-adult in today's society. Another important issue brought up in this book is the subject of euthanasia. Can there be a situation when it is appropriate to take a life? I had trouble deciding if the judgment served in Hiram's case was proper. The author's description of the press, also made me question the magnitude of power they wield. A person's subjective conclusions could make a devil seem like an angel, while overblown news could lead to condemnation of the innocent. There is a need for a lot of checks and balances in the media.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It's one of the best books I've read in a while. I loved every part of it except Hiram's punishment. I'm just unable to decide if that was alright. There are some sexual scenes and gay relationships covered in this book. There are no grammatical errors in the book. I found only one or two typos. The book is so inspirational that I'll recommend it to every adult, especially people in positions of authority because it will serve as a reminder that life isn't constant.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Flowers123's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Despite the deep themes, I don't think I could stand the main character. Good review.
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

I just finished this book! I know a lot of people don't like Hiram McDowell, but I reccomend giving him a chance until the very end of the book. You might be surprised at how you view him in the end. Thanks for the review!
Flowers123
Currently Reading:

Post by Flowers123 »

teacherjh wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 14:42 Despite the deep themes, I don't think I could stand the main character. Good review.
I guess he wasn't all that bad especially after his downfall. Thanks for dropping by.
Flowers123
Currently Reading:

Post by Flowers123 »

MalMartin wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 05:00 I just finished this book! I know a lot of people don't like Hiram McDowell, but I recommend giving him a chance until the very end of the book. You might be surprised at how you view him in the end. Thanks for the review!
Yes, I was angry at first with his character. I thought he was narcissistic and selfish, but his horrific situation later changed him. Thanks for the reply.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

After that first paragraph, I was glad that he was getting what was coming to him, that he would learn to be a better person, by force if that's what it took. But I've also been thinking a lot about the idea of karma; people say someone got what they deserve for doing (whatever it was) they did, but I wonder if what was done to the speaker was karma getting them.

Euthanasia to me seems the business of the person choosing it. Of course, I don't know how it actually plays into this story. I know it's legal in several countries and in some American states.

Now I'm curious, darn it. I don't want to read a book with such an awful main character that hurts everyone he should love. Life has already shown me the results of that, it's all around us in so many broken people. But how did McDowell get that way in the first place? Still unsure, but your review has tempted me to read it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I read the book and can't agree more that the author was able to tackle contentious deep themes in a way that leaves you second guessing your stand, or sort of understanding where the opposite opinion to yours is coming from. Thanks for the insightful review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”