Review by Sahani Nimandra -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 25 Nov 2018, 05:32

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


Arh-wOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! On a full moon night, deep in the dark forest, an old house stands spilled with blood. A shadow lurks in welcoming the haunting silence. A man stride angrily within the storm, walking, his hands tainted with blood. He lurks, he lurks within the dark aiming with his murderous intentions. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Pushing the door, he moves slowly like a vine aiming to strike his last crime.


Does the above passage sound familiar to you? Now! Horror and thriller stories have their way around people; some are happy with it and some are not, yet everyone knows about it. Besides, there isn't a better time other than Halloween to get crazy about this. We are not only limited to our heart-throbbing vampire, Edward or bad boy shapeshifter, Jacob; we have Count Dracula, Frankenstein, Banshee (supernatural being who wail under the windows of a house where someone is about to die), Revenant (a person who returns from the dead), Galloping Hessian (the headless horseman), Mummy, and many more to spark our interests.


Unlike other thriller genre reads, Victoria Faust produces a quick read that maintains a good balance with horror, mystery, crime, and unexpected humor. It's an ideal Halloween read that will treat you to the all crazy, psycho, and cutting-edge experiences. I also wish to warn the readers who are sensitive to gore and amputation. I wish to rate It's Hard To Be A Vampire 3 out of 4 stars; it has a story for everyone, Seriously! Check it out!


This read has a collection of 9 short stories bound together by blood and dark mysticism. Story 1, It's Hard To Be A Vampire, is about a girl who desperately tries to be a vampire despite been fat. Story 2, Gallery Of Horrors, a man wretched in both mind and soul about his cursed paintings. Story 3, The Painting Strikes Again, part two of Gallery Of Horrors, how the painter and his paintings never rest in peace. Story 4, Do Vampires Dream of Slaughtered Sheep? It's a story about a vampire hunter whose ambitions have taken him too far, drowning him into a cursed life. Story 5, Narcissus, it's a tale about the beauty that killed the beast. Story 6, Quietly They Rise From The Fog, is about a boy drowning to the eternal depths of sorrow following his death. Story 7, Behind The Door, is about the silence that crept within the sealed trap door. Story 8, The Invisible Ink, is about the lifeline of a lost sister. Story 9, That Bloody Useless Bloodless Body, is about a boiled soulless body of a lost identity.


From these stories, the only story that I truly enjoyed the most was It's Hard To Be A Vampire. It was humorous enough to take a laugh out of me. Some stories were too short and too difficult to understand, and this made me question: does writing have to make any sense all the time? Some stories are excitingly gripping that made me sit on the edge of my chair, but in general, they are all highly engaging. Throughout this read, I was subject to an emotional rollercoaster from intense panic to laugh-out-loud moments, and at times, revulsion.


It was quite refreshing to read this type of book for a change. I couldn't help but watch, silent as the grave, the cursed lives of these characters. This read has all the sick psycho situations, and unhinged twisted ingredients necessary to make it a good read. In general, to me, this read is neither too great nor too bad, which reminded me of this quote: "you may hate me or love me, but never ignore me." (Shahrukh Khan)


What enticed me the most was the author's use of vivid writing styles: from a descriptive writing approach, It's Hard To Be A Vampire, to Narrative writing approach, Gallery Of Horrors. I also found a unique piece of self-indulge writing, Do Vampires Dream of Slaughtered Sheep, by the author. I found certain sentences that need a rewriting session, but ninety-eighth percent of this read maintains the expected standard of a good book. So my dear readers, better hold out to your partners because it's going to be a one scary ride!

******
It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Julie Green
Posts: 563
Joined: 31 May 2018, 17:36
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Post by Julie Green » 28 Nov 2018, 02:46

I love your description of the book! I'm not a big fan of vampire books but, as you say, I could get into one if the mood takes me e.g. at Halloween! It's now November but your review has got me thinking I might choose a vampire story for my next book..
Latest Review: Friends by Gary Hope

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 28 Nov 2018, 23:18

Julie Green wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 02:46
I love your description of the book! I'm not a big fan of vampire books but, as you say, I could get into one if the mood takes me e.g. at Halloween! It's now November but your review has got me thinking I might choose a vampire story for my next book..
I'm glad that my review steps out for your interests. Hope it presented a every lasting impression. Thank you for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Espie
Posts: 1108
Joined: 05 May 2018, 06:36
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Force Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 30 Nov 2018, 05:58

You've guessed it right. I need my husband and a pillow to cover my eyes if I have to watch an entire horror movie in its entirety. One thing I haven't figure out, though, is how to read with my eyes covered to skip the parts I'd rather not visualise. Thank you for another entertaining review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 307
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sunnyroyish » 30 Nov 2018, 06:35

Lol! The title is funny. I'm a big fan of horror films. Recently watched Nun. There are very few horror books that I like. Most of them are not really scary. I hope this one's good. As always great review!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 30 Nov 2018, 09:13

Espie wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 05:58
You've guessed it right. I need my husband and a pillow to cover my eyes if I have to watch an entire horror movie in its entirety. One thing I haven't figure out, though, is how to read with my eyes covered to skip the parts I'd rather not visualise. Thank you for another entertaining review.
Hehe, thank you for your entertaining answer! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 30 Nov 2018, 09:15

Sunnyroyish wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 06:35
Lol! The title is funny. I'm a big fan of horror films. Recently watched Nun. There are very few horror books that I like. Most of them are not really scary. I hope this one's good. As always great review!
I wouldn't say 100% scary but rather.... enough to make every hair in your body stick straight, so ya! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Kajori50
Posts: 460
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading: A Thousand Seeds of Joy
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by Kajori50 » 01 Dec 2018, 09:05

I have read and reviewed this book as well, and have a more or less similar view about it.
In general, to me, this read is neither too great nor too bad, which reminded me of this quote: "you may hate me or love me, but never ignore me." (Shahrukh Khan)
I loved the way you included the quote. Here, I have to mention that SRK is one of my most favourite actors.

Thank you for the lovely review.

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 02 Dec 2018, 01:18

Kajori50 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 09:05
I have read and reviewed this book as well, and have a more or less similar view about it.
In general, to me, this read is neither too great nor too bad, which reminded me of this quote: "you may hate me or love me, but never ignore me." (Shahrukh Khan)
I loved the way you included the quote. Here, I have to mention that SRK is one of my most favourite actors.

Thank you for the lovely review.
I'm not entirely a big fan of him, but I do like this quote of his. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Shrabastee
Posts: 797
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 00:38
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Shrabastee » 03 Dec 2018, 22:39

Even though I generally like reading your reviews, this one seems the best so far! From the unique way you started it to the quote from SRK, it is too good! As for book itself, this will be right up my alley. Nine stories full of vampires and haunted paintings and what not, I am already jumping with excitement!

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 03 Dec 2018, 22:52

Shrabastee wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 22:39
Even though I generally like reading your reviews, this one seems the best so far! From the unique way you started it to the quote from SRK, it is too good! As for book itself, this will be right up my alley. Nine stories full of vampires and haunted paintings and what not, I am already jumping with excitement!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Shrabastee
Posts: 797
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 00:38
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Shrabastee » 03 Dec 2018, 23:05

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 22:52
Shrabastee wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 22:39
Even though I generally like reading your reviews, this one seems the best so far! From the unique way you started it to the quote from SRK, it is too good! As for book itself, this will be right up my alley. Nine stories full of vampires and haunted paintings and what not, I am already jumping with excitement!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
I had read this review, typed a comment and then lost the internet connection the moment I posted it! I sampled the excerpt yesterday and enjoyed the read.

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1609
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Lily White Lie
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 03 Dec 2018, 23:36

Shrabastee wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 23:05
Sahani Nimandra wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 22:52
Shrabastee wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 22:39
Even though I generally like reading your reviews, this one seems the best so far! From the unique way you started it to the quote from SRK, it is too good! As for book itself, this will be right up my alley. Nine stories full of vampires and haunted paintings and what not, I am already jumping with excitement!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
I had read this review, typed a comment and then lost the internet connection the moment I posted it! I sampled the excerpt yesterday and enjoyed the read.
Thank you for your valuable time! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Post Reply

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”