Review by Kishor Rao -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Kishor Rao -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Kishor Rao »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and A Chico Kid- Review

The Sword Swallower and A Chico Kid is a time machine which traverses you to the time of the 1960s and gives you an impeccable account of societal norms of the era. Gary Robinson, the author, knows how to entertain his readers with his exquisite narrative style.

The story is told in three parts. The first part is about a talented circus worker, the Sword Swallower, Duke Reynolds. The second part goes on to tell the story about a young man named Gary Robinson, the Chico Kid. The third and the concluding part shows the union of these titular characters.

Duke Reynolds works for a circus sideshow, exhibiting his diverse and exceptional talents including sword swallowing. You'll know it from the beginning that this is the person you must root for throughout the book. Duke is an alcoholic and a drug addict. As a part of the circus show, he starts inhaling methamphetamine and eventually becomes an addict. Duke is fundamentally flawed, and he’s not very good at making the right decisions. Gary Robinson is a student at Chico, California. The story continues into his life for over thirty years describing all the wrong decisions he makes which eventually destroys his entire career. Gary becomes an alcoholic as well. These two souls meet in an unexpected way like a divine intervention. What is the outcome of this beautiful friendship? Does Gary finally get a life which he deserves but has no hope of getting? Read the book to find out.

There are so many things to like about this book. There are only so many people that know how a circus actually works. The book accomplishes this job beautifully. After reading the book, the reader will feel like he knows the ins and outs of a circus. The life, the people, the deformities for which they are paid and for which they are famous is very fascinating to read. The characters are layered, and they have the precise amount of backstory which will let the reader know why they are in a certain situation in the present timeline. The narrative style is soothing and satisfying, fully with emotions.

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about this book except for a few minor spelling mistakes scattered about throughout the book which I’m sure can be rectified. This does not deteriorate the reading experience at all. As there’s nudity, alcohol, and drugs involved in the book for a significant part, I would suggest this to readers aged 13 and above.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars overlooking the errors because it would be unfair to take that petty reason into account. The extraordinary story outweighs them fair and square. Go ahead and get this great book.

HAPPY READING!

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kishor Rao's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

As humans, we all have a natural propensity to err. "Nobody is beyond redemption" as what one wise person once said, though. I do hope we all get to have and maximise our further chances at life and living. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Awesome review. I pitied Gary for the reason that he didn't seem to know his purpose in life until he met Duke. I agree with your rating, the book deserve 4 stars. Thank you for your honest review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

I am excited to read this book! I love to read books about addiction because they give me a new perspective on how some people are just stuck in life and need help. Thanks for the review. Every time I see a review for this book I read it because I can't wait to read it!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

For some reason, the book did not appeal to me but I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as you did. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”