Review by edith38 -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by edith38 -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by edith38 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell is a modern detective story. Nothing good ever happens at 3.30am as Nick and Tobe know when they are called to the hostage situation in a quiet suburb. Such a call is unusual as they work in the organized crime unit. What could mobsters want with a quiet middle-class family who has never had any trouble with the law? While the correct hostage situation protocol is followed, things still go wrong. There are gunfire, explosions and the police are forced to interfere. First, it looks like things went well, bad guys are dead and good ones will recover. When the dust settles the husband and father of the family as well as one of the criminals are missing.

Race with the time starts, and while the search perimeter gets wider and wider, it takes seasoned cops to know that what they are doing is for the media and to make the public feel better. Finding a kidnapper and his victim in the wilderness of New Zealand southern island is unlikely in the best-case scenario. With the storm coming in, however, it becomes near impossible. It’s up to Nick and Tobe to find a way to save the life of a decent man and the time is not on their side.

Finn Bell writes a captivating story with incredibly vivid characters and delivers an ending that made sense but is still a surprise. Crime fiction has been my go-to reading over decades. As a side-effect, many of the plots of otherwise good stories have become too easy to predict. This book kept me guessing through reading and the ending didn’t disappoint. The passing element of Nick’s shaking hands was carried well through the book and wrapped the story together well. The protagonist is very human with self-doubts and somewhat ironic view of the world. As he describes himself "I've never been someone to quit doing stupid things just because I'm confronted with good reasons."

It’s refreshing to have a country other than the USA or the UK as a backdrop. Author’s love for the area and knowledge of its history adds an interest to the reading. While the main story is told from the point of view of Nick, there are two parallel storylines from the point of view of the kidnaped person and the storm that is about to hit the town. First helps to build a tension in the story and the second creates a time pressure. 

The only criticism to offer is that while the author does an excellent job at foreshadowing, some elements at the end were presented as a new information that a reader couldn’t have known or guessed. Also, side characters are on some occasions described so well I found myself frustrated over them not having a larger part in the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing and proofreading are on a professional level without notable grammar mistakes. With a captivating and well-paced storytelling and character building, this book would be a good reading for anybody who likes detective fiction and thrillers. There is no hard language in the book, but some descriptions may be too graphic for a younger audience. It may also not be a good fit for readers who prefer their mysteries Miss Marple level cozy.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like edith38's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love to read thrillers. It seems really nice with your review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a captivating read. I enjoy mysteries that are not easy to predict, so I hope to give this book a try. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is refreshing to hear of a book set in the wilds of New Zealand and featuring some of the intense weather the region is subject to. It sounds like a gripping story, and I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a good book. I've read a book from this author before. It was really good. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Sushan wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 20:33 I love to read thrillers. It seems really nice with your review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts 👍👍
Thank you for taking a time to read and comment. Happy new year!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”