Review by Cate Mbevi -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cate Mbevi
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Review by Cate Mbevi -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi » 23 Nov 2018, 05:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Attuned" by Gary B. Haley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Attuned by Gary B. Haley is a fiction story set at the Middle East, Europe and the United States. Gary, having been born in a military family and grown up near an Air force Base, is the best person suited or attuned (borrowing from the title of the book) to narrate the difficult experiences of a soldier. It is a sequel that solves the mystery of its prequel The Attunement. Having not read The Attunement I thought I will not connect with anything happening in The Attuned but it was not the case. The Attuned is a complete book narrating fresh experiences of a soldier stranded in the deserts of the Middle East and trying to find his way home to the United States without any identification documents.

It is interesting that the narrator is the main character thus the story is written in the first person making it more thrilling and emotional. The story begins with two soldiers, a man and a woman being helped to escape on camel backs from a desert where they were involved in a fierce fight the previous day. Already in the beginning tension starts to build in this story because the two do not know exactly where they are being taken to, one has a bullet wound and their ears are ringing from gunshots and hand grenades from the previous day. Detective Kemal is the one directing the rescue but is not telling them much even when he is giving them new assignments.

The story takes a more interesting turn when the narrator who is one of the soldiers and the one with the bullet wound is being left behind at a certain university in the middle of nowhere. When he asks why, he is told it is because those people in that place are like him. At this point, the book becomes a non-put down as the abandoned soldier is forced to use his rare and deadly capabilities. The soldier is able to drop a person dead by just focusing on them. Throughout the book the soldier is in and out of one predicament after another.

I like the way, to create more suspense, the narrator shifts the story from one part of the earth to the other. More than three stories are running concurrently and every shift from one story leaves it in a high suspense. The author managed to keep my curiosity high as I longed to know how the different characters are related. The supernatural powers of the characters make the story more thrilling and attractive. I loved the narrator’s description of places especially the quaint town of Bristlecone. As I read the vivid description of that town I found myself wishing I could see it and to my great surprise, in a book without drawings, the following page was a beautiful sketch of the town. I loved it. The sub-headings managed to raise my curiosity thus I found myself reading continuously and tirelessly.

I did not notice errors in this book only “of” is missing on page 35 second paragraph. What was annoying throughout the book is the formatting of lines. Many paragraphs have lines that are spaced midway and others hanging in between paragraphs. My book was downloaded in the PDF format.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is very creative, entertaining and informative. Without the formatting problems, it would have been a perfect one. I recommend The Attuned to anybody who loves fiction with characters having supernatural powers.

The Attuned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cate Mbevi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”