Review by Farmgurl1 -- Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Farmgurl1 -- Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Betrayal of Justice" by Mark M. Bello.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayal of Justice (Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Book 2) by Mark M. Bello is a crime/thriller book about Ayra Kahn, a young Muslim woman, who is accused of a murder and the story of how Blake defends her.

In Washington D.C., newly-elected president Ronald John promises to “make America pure again.” While the immigrant community is fearful, the white supremacists’ groups are thrilled. One of the white supremacists, Keith Blackwell, decides to bomb a local mosque to show his support of President John. The Dearborn Police Department investigates the crime, but Arya thinks the threat to the Muslim community is not taken seriously and decides to take matters into her own hands. While conducting her own investigation she identifies a suspect, follows him, and witnesses his brutal murder. Arya attempts to help the victim and calls 9-1-1. However, when the police arrive and see Arya beside the victim with a knife in her hand, all evidence points to Arya as the murderer. Can Blake prove her innocence?

The legal expertise of the author comes through loud and clear in this book. The inter-workings of a criminal trial are uncovered in this story and, at times, I felt like I was actually in the courtroom watching it all unfold. The complexity of preparing for a case like this that will be heard in front of a jury is a game that becomes almost like a theatrical performance. I enjoyed the author’s accurate description of the process.

This story is obviously a dig at the Trump administration and the current state of immigration reform, as well as stereotyping of Muslim immigrants. The story is very wordy at times and becomes redundant and boring with the detailed explanations of the trial and investigation. While I think those details are important, it really bogs the story-line down. I also think the author is very obviously on the left side of politics, and tries to prove his opinion that the right side is so obviously wrong and biased that it detracts from the story.

In summary, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who likes to read political thrillers would like this book and appreciate the accuracy. If you are a reader that is offended by criticism of the current White House administration, then this would not be the book for you. It is very well written with very few errors. I only noticed a couple of spelling errors but nothing that was distracting. Overall, a very timely book based on the current political climate.

Betrayal of Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Hi, thanks for your great review. It sounds like a book I would enjoy and you did a great job pointing out what works and what doesn't. It's a great, in depth analysis. :)

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Whisper In MY Ear
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Ensuring the safety and welfare of citizens is a public servant's call, indeed. However, prejudice, setting people up, and creating situations to instigate unrest and prove a point wouldn't be quite the right thing to do anymore regardless of what side such would emanate from. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Gotyourbakula
2018 Reading Goal: 52
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

It’s strange that a lawyer can’t make the courtroom scenes more interesting - I totally felt the same way. Maybe it’s because real courtroom stuff is pretty boring. Lol. (Check our my review of the same book!)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”