Review by Brenn -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler M...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Brenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenn.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Review by Brenn -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler M...

Post by Brenn » 21 Nov 2018, 16:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ada Lantz, a young girl of a few months more than eleven years of age is discovered dead in the septic tank of the out house of the Lantz family home. In the space of a few years, young girls will be found dead in Dayton, Ohio: all killed and raped. It is in the early 1900's and investigative science is yet at it's infancy or better still, non-existent. The authorities are unsure of how to go about the cases of these young daughters murdered in their prime while the perpetrator as sure of their ignorance as they are unsure, plans his attacks with such boldness, even teasing the authorities. Young women are murdered and left within sight of the public.

The book goes further by opening doors to how life was lived in those days, especially the life of black people. Racism and animosity by shared by both whites and blacks towards each other is not missing in here.

The horror those young women must have passed through can never be rightly portrayed by a third party, but the author, I think, did Justice to that. It is wonderful how he converts information and conversations, if and when available, into a fine narrative to tell the stories of those unfortunate young ladies.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author managed to sustain the suspense in the story, keeping me on my toes with expectation, especially in Ada Lantz's case and that of Dona Gilman. It is obvious this book is professionally edited and much work has been put into it to make it worth anyone's time, not to mention the sleepless nights that must have been put in.

Young children are not fit to read this book, neither do I recommend it to those in their early years of adolescence due to the horrific scenes in this book. I must admit I got scared standing outside my fence, in the open, the first night l began reading this piece (something I usually enjoyed).

Adults of all ages can read it. I recommend it especially to women. I believe it will help them be more conscious of their environment. I keep looking over my shoulder every now and then, especially when I'm in a quiet part of town considering the fact that, coinciding almost with the time I started this book, a man followed me on that lonely path I decided to take on a hot Monday morning.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Brenn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”