Review by SDeVore256 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SDeVore256
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdevore256.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by SDeVore256 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by SDeVore256 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Apollo’s Raven is amazing read for those interested in historical drama or mythical fantasy. Linnea Tanner does a wonderful job of intertwining the two genres in this book. I am a huge fan of both historical drama and fantasy novels, so this book was right up my alley. It’s not often that I find a book that incorporates these two things as well as this book. It felt original and organic and was a breath of fresh air.

In this book, you follow the story of a young Briton princess and a young Roman politician. The two meet in unique circumstances and find themselves falling for each other. The two aren’t supposed to fall for one another, but instead they are supposed to get close to each other to gain insight into the other side’s plans for war. Their families are trying to fight with one another and want the knowledge that the two young adults can gain. The young Roman is told that he can go as far as seducing the Briton princess in order to gain the information needed for the Romans to take the Britons down. The two find themselves standing up against their families and traditions to do what is right and to fight for one another.

I thoroughly enjoyed the main characters of this book. The characters have so much depth and personality that it feels like you actually know them. I do, however, with that Linnea had been a little more descriptive with the characters as far as their looks. She describes their eye color and hair color and overall build, but I was somewhat at a loss when I imagined what they looked like. This wasn’t helped by the fact that the front cover didn’t show faces either. Usually if the book doesn’t do a good job of describing the characters, there are pictures on the front to show what they look like. This isn’t a make or break for this book at all as the content itself is spectacular.

I also appreciate the fact that there isn’t a clear ‘villain’ in this book. I don’t like when there is a set ‘good’ guy and a ‘bad’ guy. I think that realistically, there is a little bit of good and a little bit of evil in everyone, so it seems more realistic when book characters are that way also. We see from the Romans a little bit of humanity, but we also see individuals that are self-driven and want to conquer the world to make up for past wrongs. We also see overpowering Britons and individuals that want to control everything to keep their families safe. It is a really nice mix of good and bad to keep the characters realistic.

As I mentioned before, this book was an excellent read. I was drawn into the story the entire time that I was reading. It was honestly one of those books that you just can’t put down! As soon as I finished reading it, I had to buy the next one. My only disappointment is that the second one doesn’t end and the next one isn’t available yet. All in all, one of my favorite books that I’ve read in a really long time.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like SDeVore256's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”