Review by Vickie Noel -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Review by Vickie Noel -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Vickie Noel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew 18:3 - “…unless you turn around and become as young children, you will by no means enter into the kingdom of the heavens.” - New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

On this premise, it is unsurprising that children are teachers, and I received my very first lesson from the cover page of Toni the Superhero. Sometimes, we get overwhelmed by all the duties needing accomplishment such that we wind up frustrated. The bright smile permeating Toni’s face despite the chores surrounding him is a subtle, personal reminder that I needn’t get grumpy when tasks are numerous.

In the book’s description on OBC, R. D. Base intimates potential readers as to the ideology behind its creation, which will evolve into a series down the line. Toni the Superhero is a children’s book targeted at early readers who haven’t quite grasped the art of reading yet. It is also designed to give a head start to toddlers who haven’t even begun the reading journey. This is to be achieved by using simple, repetitive sentences. As a result, Toni the Superhero is a very short book, spanning across 20 pages on my Kindle and lacking an actual plot. Nonetheless, it tells about a young superhero who has a life outside hero duties. He’s a regular kid, and he enjoys doing the things his peers love to do like playing, dancing and eating! However, there are other activities some kids would make a fuss about. How does Toni feel about those?

One thing that strengthens my appreciation of this book is its rich, vibrant colours. I consider them eye-popping enough to want to reach out and grab some tantalizing fruits right off the page! I can imagine many a child beseeching an eager mother to provide just what Toni’s eating, possibly for lunch or any other meal at the period when the book is being examined. Evidently, Debbie Hefke has done a top-notch job with the book’s illustrations.

Today, it is not uncommon to see children display a mean attitude toward animals, especially when they feel they can get away with it. Toni’s heroic act of saving the cat is a delicate hint to these young, impressionable minds that all life is valuable.

In addition, the friendship Toni basks in with children from varying backgrounds clearly relays the theme of multiculturalism. I think this will help kids maintain their innocence regarding racial discrimination while serving as a visible guide to any slightly-forgetful adult.

Lastly, I like how involved Toni is when it comes to household chores. Frequently, parents’ efforts in ensuring their children’s comfort get either forgotten or taken for granted. On the contrary, Toni does not hide under the umbrella of “saving the world” to beg off from helping his mother willingly. He contributes his quota, thereby displaying gratitude for her love and care. He is indeed a worthy role model for the little ones.

I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. There were no grammatical errors. I really appreciate the book’s brevity in relation to its intended goal of stimulating fluency in reading. Parents and teachers of children in the early years are welcome to integrate this learning material into their resources.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Parents would love to have their kids help in the house. Here's hoping RD Base produces many Tonis among the children of today.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

I agree! That, certainly, would be useful to many parents today. Thanks for stopping by!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We could all be superpersons even through our ordinary ways, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable. This book really seems to have more lessons for adults, not just kids, than what I initially thought possible. Indeed, we all could learn from everyone even from those we don't expect that to be.

Thank you for your candid review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Wouldn't we all love to be able to face our everyday lives and the chores that go with them with a smile on our face? Here's hoping that this book will bring us one step closer to imparting that ability to our children, even if we are still working on it ourselves. I also love that the book includes a multicultural theme. Thanks for the great review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Espie wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 23:34 We could all be superpersons even through our ordinary ways, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable. This book really seems to have more lessons for adults, not just kids, than what I initially thought possible. Indeed, we all could learn from everyone even from those we don't expect that to be.

Thank you for your candid review.
Well said, Espie. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 03:33 Wouldn't we all love to be able to face our everyday lives and the chores that go with them with a smile on our face? Here's hoping that this book will bring us one step closer to imparting that ability to our children, even if we are still working on it ourselves. I also love that the book includes a multicultural theme. Thanks for the great review!!
I agree! Thanks for stopping by.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

This book looks so cute! I'll have to add it to my recommendation list for parents with small children.Thanks for the review!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

M Zee wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 00:00 This book looks so cute! I'll have to add it to my recommendation list for parents with small children.Thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading and commenting, M Zee!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've also added this book to my list of TBR books. I've seen so many nice reviews about it; your own inclusive. Toni's act of heroism is one thing even adults can learn from. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an enthralling review especially on your ability to analyze the book and get lessons right from the cover page. This is a nice book indeed and it can be a source of great lessons for kids. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

T_stone wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 08:40 I've also added this book to my list of TBR books. I've seen so many nice reviews about it; your own inclusive. Toni's act of heroism is one thing even adults can learn from. Thanks for the honest review.
Awww, I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for checking out my review and commenting!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 09:15 This is an enthralling review especially on your ability to analyze the book and get lessons right from the cover page. This is a nice book indeed and it can be a source of great lessons for kids. Thanks for the review.
Such kind words are deeply appreciated, thanks for reading!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Such a short book - and yet the lessons are many, for both adults and children. You have expounded these lessons well. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Cotwani wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 14:05 Such a short book - and yet the lessons are many, for both adults and children. You have expounded these lessons well. Great review!
I'm grateful you took out time to pop in here. Thanks heaps!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”