Review by charmperit -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by charmperit -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by charmperit »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Pastoring is Not What You Think is a Christian fiction written by Elijah Oladimeji to inspire Christians to have a strong faith in God on every circumstance and more especially on difficult times.

The book tells the story of Pastor Job – his life as a church leader, a husband, an American citizen, and most especially, a follower of God. His life shows what it actually means to have God in one’s life, which is to have God in every aspect of life. He acknowledges God’s presence in every situation, whether it is church-related or not. Shown in the chapters are the obstacles and difficulties he had to face. But in all his experiences, he shows strong faith in God even when others see them as illogical.

Being a Christian book, the author has its way of preaching to the readers. It is portrayed as Pastor Job literally preaching during Sunday services. It is like reading an actual service with the pastor preaching and the attendees responding with “Amen” and “Hallelujah.” Aside from the services, the author preached by telling stories of encounters in everyday life. I like how the author points out things that are true but difficult to admit for most Christians. One is when the author tells about how people only remember the church or the pastor when in need of a prayer or a miracle.

What I like most about this book is it portrayed a pastor as a man of God who is not exempted from tests of faith. He had his struggles financially in paying the church’s monthly rent and in providing for his family. He also had his doubts and reservations in the people he was praying for.

Aside from the church- and faith-related topics discussed, the book also tackles the current issues facing the United States like gun violence. I can feel the frustration of the author on how this issue is lightly taken by the government. I totally agree when he said that maybe protecting America is not the congressmen's number one job; because if it were, then they would have already passed some common-sense law a long time ago.

There are some beliefs in the book that are not carefully delivered, thus, resulting to be misunderstood. One is when he said that if a person is not in good health, then he/she couldn’t help people in significant ways. I think these statements meant to say that being healthy brings more opportunities to help in significant ways. But with how it was phrased, it sends a message that being unhealthy makes a person unable to help in significant ways.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It portrays a life of a pastor and how they are not exempted to the human struggles because they are soldiers of God; it even showed how they take these experiences to have stronger faith and be closer to God. I took off one star for the beliefs stated that could have been more carefully phrased and delivered. There are also noticeable writing errors such as some misspelling of words and misuse of quotation marks and commas.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like charmperit's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yours was the second review that I read regarding this book. It is good to see the different views of different reviewers. Thank you
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I am not a Christian but i love the books about having faith in God and i think ot would be a good read. When an author tries to preach, he must do it with great responsibility and your review tells that the author didn't write with due responsibility. Thank you for a good honest review 👍
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”