Review by Kajori50 -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Was it possible for death to actually make life more worth living, and worth protecting?
This seems to be the recurring theme in Jen Frankel's Undead Redhead. In this quirky zombie romance, Frankel masterfully mashes the genres of humor and horror.

The novel revolves around an amazingly loving redhead named Sharon Backovic. Everybody including “the inconsistent family and the rat-snake boyfriend” takes advantage of her caring nature. It seems nobody truly loves her. The book opens with Sharon finding herself in a coffin en route to her own burial. Her slightly rotting body, and a fuzzy memory, leads Sharon to the conclusion that she has become a zombie. Dressed in a horrendous fuchsia bridesmaid gown and matching killer heels, she sets out on a journey to eke out an existence for herself. However, things are way more complicated than it seems. Sharon was a vegan when alive, and it seems that even undead, she gets nauseous at the thought of consuming brains. Sharon, being Sharon finds “a reason against all odds to be optimistic”. Along the way she finally realizes the true nature of her so-called friends, and family. After her reanimation, she makes true friends, and finds love. Above all, she learns to stand up for herself.

The conversational and informal tone employed by the author was perfect for the story. Frankel's portrayal of the modern world was on point. She masterfully depicted the selfishness, aloofness, social media craze, and sensation-hungry journalism of the 21st century world. Frankel's lucid writing made the reader sympathize with Sharon. I have to say that this book truly touched me. It made me both laugh and cry.

The one thing that I absolutely loved about the book was the characterization. Frankel did an amazing job at sketching well-developed characters. The protagonist, Sharon was a round character. She showcased phenomenal growth. From a meek, and subdued girl, she became an assertive woman who did not hesitate to fight for herself. It can be said that this is a story of Sharon's self-actualization. Apart from Sharon, Malcom, Jason, Teeny, Waglet, the crazy cracklady, the cryptoparapsychocriminologist V.X. Morgoni Mocklin McLaughlin, and the imposter Undead Redhead were all unique characters.

Overall, I loved this quirky novel, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was the smattering of errors throughout the book. Although it did not affect the flow of the narrative, it hampered my reading experience.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the errors, I would have happily given it 4 stars. I recommend this tale of self-discovery to young adults who are struggling to find their own place in the world. I believe that fans of the zombie sub-genre will find this quirky book quite enjoyable.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

There was also an impostor undead redhead? The plot thickens!! I'm always intrigued at how Sharon ended up being a zombie. Thanks for the intriguing review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Poor Sharon. Her death really made her life worth living. Or something like that...
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
Humor and horror? Sounds good to me-especially with the well developed characters. Shame about the errors though.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This has been on my TBR list for a while now. Maybe it's really time to check it out. The quote at the beginning was very intriguing. Thanks for this review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise is really interesting! I have been seeing great reviews of this book lately, so I will have to pick this up soon. Thanks for the lovely review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I loved the plot of this book. With an apparently humorous narrative, the author seems to have asked a poignant question! Good to know that character development was given importance as well. Thanks for the well-written review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Well written review. Seemingly an interesting book. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

"I have to say that this book truly touched me. It made me both laugh and cry." The book that leaves you with all sorts of emotions is a must read. Since I'm a lover of horror, I can't wait to give it a try. Nice review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 13:30 There was also an impostor undead redhead? The plot thickens!! I'm always intrigued at how Sharon ended up being a zombie. Thanks for the intriguing review!
Welcome. :D Thank you for stopping by. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 13:44 Poor Sharon. Her death really made her life worth living. Or something like that...
Great review!
Thank you. :D I agree with you, especially on the "something like that" part. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

fernsmom wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 15:26 Great review! :tiphat:
Humor and horror? Sounds good to me-especially with the well developed characters. Shame about the errors though.
Thank you. :D
Yup, around of editing could make it perfect. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

inaramid wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 21:27 This has been on my TBR list for a while now. Maybe it's really time to check it out. The quote at the beginning was very intriguing. Thanks for this review!
Welcome. :D
Hope you enjoy reading it. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

gen_g wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 22:32 The premise is really interesting! I have been seeing great reviews of this book lately, so I will have to pick this up soon. Thanks for the lovely review.
Welcome :D .
The premise is really interesting.
Hope you enjoy reading it. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 02:54 I loved the plot of this book. With an apparently humorous narrative, the author seems to have asked a poignant question! Good to know that character development was given importance as well. Thanks for the well-written review!
Welcome :D.
Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”