Review by Nevaeh_sent1 -- The Cartel Crusher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nevaeh_sent1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nevaeh-sent1.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Nevaeh_sent1 -- The Cartel Crusher

Post by Nevaeh_sent1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cartel Crusher" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cartel Crusher Author Dan E Hendrickson

Genre - Action, Crime, Suspense

This action packed novel is based around the character of Marnier,the privileged teenage daughter of the President of Mexico, who, whilst on a cruise ship celebrating her birthday, is witness to the rapes and murders of many of her friends who are with her, narrowly escaping the same demise herself thanks to her rescue by Jacob Edwards, the US Coastguard who killed her attacker, the notorious Dominik Thrace.

Incensed and driven by the attack, Marnier is determined to wreak revenge on her enemies following in the footsteps of her hero Jacob who she remains friends with and his family throughout the following years.

Despite going against her father's wishes of going to law school and becoming Mexico's first female president, she convinces him to agree to becoming a Military Officer instead.

In a very short time, she climbs up the military ladder through temerity and merit and captures small crime outfits leading up to the big cartels that run large gun smuggling operations but her main objective is to uncover and crush the cartels' under-aged sex slave grooming schools and slave trading.

With the help of her anti-cartel task force, her hero Jacob Edwards, a Madam of a brothel and the son of one of the largest cartels, she sets out to crush her enemies one by one, encountering many personal setbacks and tragedy along the way.

As this is the second book in the Last Enemy Trilogy, I was a little reluctant at first, not having read the first book but I needn't have worried. The Cartel Crusher can stand on it's own two feet as a complete book in it's own right.

I read quite an eclectic mixture of genres, usually historical fiction, a smattering of rom coms and a small dose of crime thrillers. I find with the latter though, after a hard day's work I can lose concentration with their intricate and sometimes confusing plots and soon become lost, distracted and bored but the summary of the Cartel Crusher seemed intriguing and different.

I was not to be disappointed - Hendrickson's fresh, fluid contemporary style of writing had me hooked from the start, middle and end of the book.

This fast action packed crime story will appeal to almost anyone, there are a few strong words included but I feel they are justified for the situations involved and are in keeping with the characters.

The author can be commended for introducing a myriad of characters without losing his reader, he ensures to use their names regularly to keep the reader up to speed, oh and my what a speed he goes at. Each page has action, fluidity and suspense, keeping the reader gripping the book well after bedtime.

Hendrickson has everything covered; crime, action, oh and a little love interest simmering throughout the story which I was very pleased with, northing too gory with the action and nothing too flowery with the romance, we haven't got time, there's an important story to read!

This is a no-nonsense, crime story that would well deserve 4 stars but for a few typos, that just need editing out.

Also I noticed only one technical faux pas with the underwater diving sign language, using thumbs up for OK, which actually means end dive, which doesn't detract from the enjoyment of reading the book but has resulted in losing it's fourth star.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars

Well done Mr Hendrickson, I can't wait to read the other two in the series!

The Cartel Crusher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nevaeh_sent1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

True, Hendrickson had a way to balance myriads of characters in the story without loosing the readers attention. And he is a good storyteller. I enjoyed reading the book as well. Sorry about the typos. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yours is the second review that I came across regarding this book. Good to see different views of different reviewers. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I am glad Marnier's many personal setbacks and tragedy do not affect the hooking on the book from start to middle to end! The fact that the book can be a standalone forms the bow on it! A pity about the typos. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

With the help of her anti-cartel task force, her hero Jacob Edwards, a Madam of a brothel and the son of one of the largest cartels, she sets out to crush her enemies one by one, encountering many personal setbacks and tragedy along the way.
This is the reason why this book has been named The Cartel Crusher in fact.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”