Review by CambaReviewer -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by CambaReviewer -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Code Name: Dodger" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Code Dodger: Operation Rubber Doll by Eric Auxier is the first book in a series of teenage and young adult adventure fiction novels by the author. The protagonist Justin finds out that his father was an ex-CIA agent and that he was wrongfully denied recognition and reward for discovering and busting a smuggling cartel despite losing his life in the process. Justin’s life is in danger because he is presumed to have some vital information that several parties want for different reasons. Can Justin save himself and avenge his father’s death? Is his passion and determination to see justice served enough to assist him in an unfamiliar world in which there is a thin line between friends and foes?

Eric Auxier is a master storyteller. He quickly drew me into a captivating and intriguing plot from the onset of the novel. The author creates characters that are easy to like and relate to even when they are flawed and imperfect. The protagonist Justin is likeable even when he is committing a crime. Somehow it was easy to believe that his character would develop and mature as the story progressed. I found myself rooting for him as he encountered danger repeatedly.

Code Dodger: Operation Rubber Doll
is one of the most enjoyable adventure and espionage fiction stories I have ever read. The language was age-appropriate and informal enough for the target audience. I had great difficulty putting this book down. There were lots of twists and turns in the plot so I did not know how the story would end. I had my thoughts about who the villain might be, but I was shocked by who it turned out to be at the end. Several themes were explored in this fiction story. The importance of secrecy and confidentiality in the operations of security agencies and the need to find infiltrators and moles out promptly are highlighted. The deficiencies in the child care system are also exposed by Justin's account of life in an orphanage.

Justin was witty and reflected some of the thoughts and belief systems of teenagers and young adults. I liked this statement made by him.
He looked old, at least late 30s, and thin.
Most adults would not classify a person in their late 30s as old. This statement alone is a giveaway about the protagonist's age.
This statement also stood out for me.:
We ate at a place so fancy they probably served silver toothpicks afterwards. If I was still living on the street, I could have dined in luxury on the leftovers sent to the garbage.
I think this book was professionally edited because I could only identify a few grammatical errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. Readers of adventure and spy stories will enjoy reading this. I look forward to buying and reading the other books in the series. Code Dodger: Operation Rubber Doll will make a useful addition to family and school libraries.

Code Name: Dodger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
cflowers
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cflowers.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by cflowers »

Just finished reading this book. I agree with your statement:
Justin was witty and reflected some of the thoughts and belief systems of teenagers and young adults.
I laughed out loud when I read Justin's comments about someone in their 30's looking old. :greatweekend:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”