Review by fernsmom -- A Kingdom Forgotten

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- A Kingdom Forgotten

Post by fernsmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald is a fantasy book with portals, long living mages, plots, and subplots galore. There are many characters, such as mages (lameans), including Talamar, Eldrac, Damon, and Kellen. The main character, Damon is one you will love to hate, or hate to love. He plays one of those roles where you know that they are doing wrong, but you still kind of like them. Damon has a Master Plan, which you will hear about throughout the book, but there is no hint to what it is until the end, where it is revealed. Damon isn’t the only character that you may have conflicting feelings about. You may ask yourself, is this one a hero, a villain, or something in between?

I especially enjoyed Damon’s interactions with another mage, Kellen, who would “trade” spells with Damon. This could be sort of scary at times since one of Kellen’s spells leveled a whole city, and one of Damon’s spells misfired to make “Damon’s Star”.

The book portrays mages fighting in wars for more power. Flip the page and you will be in another world, another time, and with other characters. Towards the end of the book, there is a desire to find the “one” who is foretold to end all the worlds. A newly discovered magic user named Radin may be this “one”.

Unfortunately, the book wasn’t edited well, which did take away from the enjoyment of the story. In the reader’s guide, the author stated that it took him 21 years to write, so I expected more with the editing. Most of the errors were simply not adding a word to a sentence or a wrong word in the sentence. For example: “lousy time for him take on extra work” or “if his last thought was comforting one”. There were also others like: “Never taking his eyes of Michael” or “Not like you to worry about your safety, our ours for that matter”.

Overall this is a hard book for me to review. The author had a good plot, and the main characters were developed well. I really felt the last part of the book summed everything up appropriately, and the ending was fantastic. But, the continual jumping back and forth every couple pages from one world to another, from one person to another person, and at different time periods as well, made it very confusing for me. I stuck with it though, and I have to admit, I was glad I did. Things started making sense. I understood the characters, the different timelines, and the ending was great.

Readers that enjoy fantasy genres may enjoy this book. If you prefer a light read over a complex story, or if excessive errors bother you then you may want to skip this one. I also don’t recommend this book for younger readers as there are a lot of deaths.

I am taking one point off the rating for the excessive errors and one point off for the confusion I had in reading the first 200 pages. I am giving A Kingdom Forgotten a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The last part of the book and the ending were good so I feel it deserves more than a 1 star rating. With some editing and maybe following an easier timeline I would have easily rated it the highest rating there is.

A Kingdom Forgotten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

21 whole years in the making?! :o Wow, the story must have meant a lot to the author if they stuck with for that long. It's unfortunate that the editing wasn't up to par. The author should probably get some professional help because the book sounds terrific. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you. :wink:
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 01:16 21 whole years in the making?! :o Wow, the story must have meant a lot to the author if they stuck with for that long. It's unfortunate that the editing wasn't up to par. The author should probably get some professional help because the book sounds terrific. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you. :wink:
Thank you for your reply and comment! I think the author should have spent a few days of the 21 years just reading thru and catching some of the mistakes prior to publish. I'm trying to read (and comment) on other's reviews as well. I still feel that I just "state the facts" where other's reviews are entertaining for me to read. I'll return the favor in a minute. Thanks again!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Maybe it took him 21 years to imagine it. That's good that you can get to know the characters really well. Great review!
:tiphat:
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 00:24 Maybe it took him 21 years to imagine it. That's good that you can get to know the characters really well. Great review!
Thank you for your comment and compliment! With some editing and a little easier timeline it would have been an awesome book - great imagination as you mentioned.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This one sounds like it has potential, but I am not sure if I would want to deal with all the negatives you mentioned. Wonderful review. Thank you.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

melissy370 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 20:18 This one sounds like it has potential, but I am not sure if I would want to deal with all the negatives you mentioned. Wonderful review. Thank you.
It really did have a lot of potential, I just was too stubborn to stop reading it. Luckily the last 1/3 of the book made more sense and was ok to read. Thank you for your comment and compliment! I'll return the favor.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love fantasies. But your rating made me a bit reluctant to go for this. Thanks you for the comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Even with a lot of potential, this book failed to make any sense. Damon's character is probably the only good thing about the novel. Otherwise I was absolutely confused with the 3 worlds and about a couple hundred characters! Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I believe congratulations are in order, for valiantly staying with the book for the first 200 pages! Its a good thing this paid off finally. I liked the hero, a villain, or something in between description. I hope the author will revise the book accordingly. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It seems that this could be a good book. However, I think there is an excess of characters. Also, the errors are a shame.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We could be viewed as villains or heroes in someone else's life, depending on what or whose viewpoint would be used. That "we cannot please everyone" has not turned into an often-uttered cliche for nothing, for one. Not all observations you've mentioned were glaringly wrong, but I'd understand if there were more and enough of them to distract you. I am also one with you in hoping that the author should have had better editing at his side on this piece enough to meet your standards. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Sushan wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 01:58 I love fantasies. But your rating made me a bit reluctant to go for this. Thanks you for the comprehensive review 👍👍
Sorry about the late response, not feeling well. Thank you for your comment! I'll return the favor. I felt I accomplished something though to get to the good part- the last 100+ pages. Wish the whole book would have been that way.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 02:57 Even with a lot of potential, this book failed to make any sense. Damon's character is probably the only good thing about the novel. Otherwise I was absolutely confused with the 3 worlds and about a couple hundred characters! Thanks for the review!
Glad to know in a way that it wasn't just me. (But in a way I'm not glad as I know then you suffered through a good portion of the book as well with the confusion). Thank you for you comment, I apologize it has been so long with the gratitude for your time, just haven't been feeling well but I will of course return the favor!
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 07:41 I believe congratulations are in order, for valiantly staying with the book for the first 200 pages! Its a good thing this paid off finally. I liked the hero, a villain, or something in between description. I hope the author will revise the book accordingly. Great review!
Thank you for your comment, and yes I kind of felt proud of myself for not stopping the book and it did finally pay off. I apologize it has been so long to say thank you, haven't been feeling well.
Last edited by fernsmom on 30 Nov 2018, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”