Review by serendipity 27 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by serendipity 27 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by serendipity 27 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is an engrossing young adult fantasy set in a world full of dark secrets. Fans of science fiction and fantasy will enjoy Dew Pellucid’s imaginative world and the characters that she creates. This story immerses the reader into a world of magic, danger, and adventure.

When William Cleary returned from the dead ten years ago, he arrived with a falcon, a wolf, and no memory of where he had been. His story is not unique, as many children go missing, including his twin sister, Emmy. Their parents have been looking for a passage beyond the pond, from which Will returned ten years ago, to find Emmy. Will gets caught up in the parallel realm of the Echoes, who are the reflections of real people, called Sounds. After the king is murdered in Echoland, a ruthless usurper takes over the throne, and Will must find a way to put the rightful king on the throne. Will is then plunged into a journey full of twists and turns, as there are evil forces at work in both realms, that are looking to kill both Sounds and Echoes. Will and his friends must go on a terrifying journey to save both realms before it is too late.

The plot moves very quickly with short chapters. The plot also deals with political intrigues that are fascinating, but still easy to understand for younger readers. The author does a great job of describing the Echo Realm. One can almost imagine the sights and smells of this parallel universe. The way the author described it as a winter landscape reminded me of the setting in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It is a fascinating idea to think that our reflections could be real people, but also different from us. It is like imagining that your shadow can take on a whole different personality. Once you start learning the terminology and understand the direction of the plot, it is truly an interesting world to read about.

The story also deals with the topic of fate. The characters are battling evil creatures out to destroy them because of a preordained law. The author makes a point to describe how the characters must deal with the fact that they cannot control what happens to them. They learn that they can only control what they do about it afterward, which is a great lesson for younger readers. The pictures at the beginning of each chapter help the reader visualize the world and the characters. A lot of the pictures reminded me of the White Walker characters in the Game of Thrones series. I liked that the plot was not very obvious, there were surprises throughout the story. There were many plot revelations at the end that tie the story together.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I liked that the chapters were relatively short. This made it easy to pick up where I left off. The author has a wonderful imagination and the world she creates is very interesting. I felt that the book was well edited, and I did not see any major grammar mistakes. I recommend this book to those who love young adult and fantasy novels. I feel like there is so much more that the author could develop in further books that would be interesting to read about. There was nothing about the novel that I did not like, and I look forward to reading more from this author.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like serendipity 27's review? Post a comment saying so!
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
jadelyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadelyne.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by jadelyne »

Thanks for the thorough review. I am intrigued and excited to give it a try.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite a book. I do love a good fantasy story, and this one sounds superb. I like the winter landscape that you were describing. It sounds like it's got a little something to teach children as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Unicornprincesss997
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Unicornprincesss997 »

I like it seems pretty cool I love fantasy story's !! And this one seems amazing
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I really love fantasy books - thanks for the review!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

At first, I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. However, by the end, I was captivated with the story. It was truly a unique read.

Great review :D
Keevan
Currently Reading:

Post by Keevan »

Unicornprincesss997 wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 14:07 I like it seems pretty cool I love fantasy story's !! And this one seems amazing
This book is great! You should definitely give it a try :D
Keevan
Currently Reading:

Post by Keevan »

jadelyne wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 09:49 Thanks for the thorough review. I am intrigued and excited to give it a try.

I totally loved it! Can't wait to see your thoughts on this one :D
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I like that the author made the chapters short. Making it seem easier to read and short chapters make me feel like the flow is easier to follow.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Wow, it is amazing to see a book that in the genre of science fiction.

Yet, a story that has a touch of magic.

I like to read a story that is "fascinating" which can help keep a reader mind on it.

Moreover, I see that the story has movie-like characters that one can learn one or two things from.

Thank you for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”