Review by Megan01 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Megan01
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan01.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Megan01 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Megan01 » 13 Nov 2018, 18:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak is the first book of the World on Fire series by Lincoln Cole. It tells the story of Haatim, a former college student who doesn't know what to do with his life, and Abigail, who has a secret that can't be shared: she hunts demons. In this paranormal thriller story, Haatim's and Abigail's fates become tangled when the latter saves Haatim from what could have been his death. He's then introduced to a world full of myths that he didn't know about before. Afterwards Abigail finds herself forced to protect him and trust him, but that's easier said than done. It becomes a necessity when things unexpectedly get more complicated once they reach Raven's Peak...

First, I admit having really liked reading Raven's Peak. My reading was smooth and it all flowed easily. The author writes in a very clear style without complicating the story more than he should. It was easy to understand and overall a pleasant journey filled with action and fluid dialogue which is a hard thing to achieve. The prologue at the beginning of the book effectively immerses us in the story without trying too hard, so I found it fresh and enjoyable. Now I must make mention of the protagonists. It's been a long time since I've met characters who appear to be so human. Abigail and Haatim are flawed but they also have their qualities, and they're not afraid to be themselves. I think their reactions were really believable and understandable considering the situations they were in, and I believe the readers can easily relate to them because, despite the paranormal setting, the characters were banal in the sense that we could have met someone like them in real life anytime. They seem close to us in that way, which is a great thing that I particularly enjoyed.

While I liked it, I can't say it was perfect. In fact, I noticed many flaws. First of all, the book presents a good number of mistakes which can easily be corrected: for example, "tinny" to "tiny", "of" to "or", "if" to "it", or an omission of a "to." The punctuation was also a problem from time to time, the main fault being the wrong use of the comma, which was always placed after a "but." Sometimes, the author forgot to put a point, or put a question mark instead of a point. There's a serious need for correction as it can be distracting and upsetting for the reader.

Following that, and maybe that's just my personal opinion, I think that perhaps the book is too light. I know there are the books two and three after this one, but given that Raven's Peak is the introduction to this new world, it would have been nice to receive a little more information, because I feel like the explanation is incomplete. Moreover, the book lacks richness in dialogue verbs. The same ones are always being used, so there's little variety and it's repetitive. I also think completing the dialogue between the characters with more description would have been a good initiative too, as it can sometimes feel empty and not alive.

In conclusion, I enjoyed reading Lincoln Cole's work and I congratulate him for his originality. Despite the book's need for a correction, it was a great story, and I hope the rest of the story is even greater than this. Nevertheless, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to people who appreciate fantastic books, action and adventure. I believe these people will like accompanying Haatim and Abigail on their journey.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Megan01's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”