Review by Zimall -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Review by Zimall -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Zimall »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles can perfectly be described as “a nemesis of hubris with a rise from the ashes”.

Hiram McDowell is a world-renowned surgeon, a mountaineer, a pro level musician and a father of the three. Hiram is a cynical guy who doesn't care about the people around him and is cheating on his third wife with another woman. Although he cares for his children. He gets himself selected as the president of The International College of Surgeons by using the unfair means. He does accomplish the tasks for the greater good, but he also uses his authority improperly. He is not malicious but ambitious and his ambitions make the life bitter for many people. His impropriety doesn't remain unknown and he is removed from the post of the president for the misconduct.

His fate turns completely against him when he is convicted of a second degree murder. Is he really a murderer? Hiram is arrested and luckily, escapes from the jail. And then the slow process of his spiritual learning and purification starts. He still has many queries about the life. Will he find the answers to his questions? Will he be able to escape the law forever or something else is waiting for him?

McDowell is a fast-paced and multidimensional novel. It is described from the perspective of the almost every character. Every character is made life-like with the colours of the minute details. Coles gives an insight into the every character that helps to explain their actions and attitude.

The thing I love about this book is that it is written in the grey terms. The characters are not the angels. They all are humanly flawed. No one is the perfect and that is the reality of the life. The characters are round. They realize their faults and grow up with the story. Another appreciable thing is the way the author questions the responsibility of the media and the insensible and the furious reaction of the public. We get a glimpse of the media, who omits the truth for its own gain and how the public reacts over the false reporting.

I didn't like the large number of the erotic scenes. They were very disturbing. The incestuous relation between Billie and Tasha was immoral and many readers would consider their marriage illicit.

I will rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it 4 stars if there had been less erotic scenes. Another reason for this rating is the defence of so-called euthanasia by the author. At times, the author seemed to defend the so-called assisted suicide, which was actually a murder. The patient wasn't brain dead. He was murdered because he would suck the life from the people around him if he remains alive. It couldn't be an assisted suicide as nobody knew the desire of the patient. Otherwise, the book was great and fascinating. I would recommend this novel to the every adult because it has something for every kind of readers. It is especially recommended to those who are seeking the meaning in their life.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Zimall's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wonderful review here. It is true that all the characters are depicted as ordinary people who are grappling with numerous flaws. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Kibetious wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 02:04 Wonderful review here. It is true that all the characters are depicted as ordinary people who are grappling with numerous flaws. Thanks for the review.
Thanks a lot for generous appreciation☺
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Well to be fair they weren't blood related but it is weird. I enjoyed this book also. There was some sad parts and some happy parts. I had a favorite character and a least favorite. I liked your summary. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:16 Well to be fair they weren't blood related but it is weird. I enjoyed this book also. There was some sad parts and some happy parts. I had a favorite character and a least favorite. I liked your summary. Thanks for the review!
Thanks a lot for commenting😊
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This is one of the best books I've read this year. I don't think the author was defending euthanasia, he was only talking about it from Hiram's perspective. The character development is my favorite part of the story. Nice review.
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

[youtube][/youtube]
prospero360 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 11:24 This is one of the best books I've read this year. I don't think the author was defending euthanasia, he was only talking about it from Hiram's perspective. The character development is my favorite part of the story. Nice review.
I just seemed to me that author was being somehow defensive for Hiram's act..perception can very person to person..thanks a lot for leaving an honest comment prospero☺
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I am currently reading this book, Zimall your review was so awesome that i fluently read it till last.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 19:43 I am currently reading this book, Zimall your review was so awesome that i fluently read it till last.
Thanks a lot for appreciation Ayat☺
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

prospero360 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 11:24 This is one of the best books I've read this year. I don't think the author was defending euthanasia, he was only talking about it from Hiram's perspective. The character development is my favorite part of the story. Nice review.
Sure. This is true although literature can also lead to such deep questions such as the author's stand on euthanasia.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I think so many erotic scenes only serves to limit this book's audience Great review.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Taylor Danvers wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 21:23 I think so many erotic scenes only serves to limit this book's audience Great review.
Thanks a lot for commenting Taylor 😊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”