Review by Kajori50 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s Hard to be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust is a collection of short stories. In this book, the ‘Croatian Queen of horror queen’ teleports the reader to a dark and twisted world of morbidity.

The book consists of nine short stories namely, It’s Hard to be a Vampire, The Gallery of Horrors, The Painting Strikes Back, Do Vampires Dream of Slaughtered Sheep?, Narcissus, Quietly They Rise From The Fog, Behind the Door, The Invisible Ink, and The Bloody Useless Bloodless Body.

I found It’s Hard to be a Vampire the most different out of all the stories. Though it had it’s fair share of morbidity, it was a touch lighter in tone than the others. In fact, I found it somewhat funny. It tells the tale of an obese girl named Sandra. Sandra loses her weight just to become a vampire. However, things does not pan out. She understands that it is truly hard to be a vampire. So she decides “to remain true to her first and only love: a full fridge.” However, that doesn't work out as well.

The Gallery of Horrors, and The Painting Strikes Back are two interrelated stories. The former revolves around a cynic painter named, Jan Turner. He believed that only God and painters “can make life in death.” His paintings were twisted and gory. Quite naturally, he was shunned by everyone. One night, everything changed. He not only became the wielder of the cursed brush, but also a renowned artist. However, the question remains, at what cost? The Painting Strikes Back focuses on vengeance. Here, a painting of Jan’s wife becomes the focal point. To tell the truth, I found these two stories to be the most morbid. Here, the relationship between the painter and his paintings truly reached new proportions.

Do Vampires Dream of Slaughtered Sheep? is a story of a vampire hunter who identifies more with the vampires he kills. This makes him crazed, and long for an avenue of escape. Narcissus deals with an extreme form of self love, and the destruction it havocs. Quietly They Rise From The Fog is the story of a never-ending city, a mystical fog, and a bridge. It is the story of a man who lost his loved ones, and longs to get lost himself. Behind the Door is a story that deals with fear. It depicts a fight between humans, and some inhuman species, who feeds on fear. The thing that I found most unique in the story was that it is written from the point of view of a person belonging to the inhuman species. The reader can’t help but sympathise with the monster. This makes the ending all the more scary. I found all four of these stories a tad abstract in nature. This made them more appealing.

The Invisible Ink, and The Bloody Useless Bloodless Body both deals with writers. The Invisible Ink focuses on the life of Hana, a compulsive writer. Written from the perspective of Hana's sister, it obliges the reader to think about the unwritten characters. The Bloody Useless Bloodless Body depicts the story of a cynical author and his fan. It tells the story of Andy Novak, a popular novelist who was famous for his vampire novels. Andy did not have a nice opinion about his fellow human beings. His stories showcased his views. Consequently, he had both fans and haters. Andy did not care about any of them. This very attitude became the cause of his downfall. Both The Invisible Ink, and The Bloody Useless Bloodless Body left an indelible mark on me. I found both these stories to be the most thought-provoking.

Overall, I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. The writing style was good, and the words flowed effortlessly. Viktoria Faust truly did a magnificent job at creating a dark milieu apt for her stories. Though, I have to mention that I found the stories to be more thought-provoking than scary. Also, I found a few errors in the book. However, that did not detract much from my reading experience.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone with a penchant for vampires, and all things morbid. However, I feel that younger children should steer clear of it due to its morbid tone. All in all, It’s Hard to be a Vampire is a perfect read for Halloween.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like it would have been a great set of stories to read for Halloween! Maybe next year. Thanks for this review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Dael Reader wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 10:21 This sounds like it would have been a great set of stories to read for Halloween! Maybe next year. Thanks for this review.
Welcome. Thank you for stopping by. :)
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Read a review on this book earlier and I must say, yours is just as detailed as the one I previously read. I'll definitely enjoy reading this, as I'm a lover of a good horror fiction. Looking forward to reading this soonest. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kajori Sheryl Paul

T_stone wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 14:52 Read a review on this book earlier and I must say, yours is just as detailed as the one I previously read. I'll definitely enjoy reading this, as I'm a lover of a good horror fiction. Looking forward to reading this soonest. Thanks for the detailed review.
Welcome. :) Hope you enjoy it.
Thank you for commenting. :)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Since I'm reviewing this read I believe I can figure it out myself. Thank you for your gracious review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 02:31 Since I'm reviewing this read I believe I can figure it out myself. Thank you for your gracious review!
Welcome. :) Thank you for stopping by. :)
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Unfortunately, I don't have the fortitude for these kind of books. It does sound like those who enjoy the darker side of life would be pleased with this one though. Thanks for your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Someone once said that we disdain in others what we fear or dislike in ourselves. It's easier said than done, and I can't say it wouldn't be a struggle for me, too. Even a flicker of light can make a difference in utter darkness. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lol! A full fridge is Sandra's first and only love? I can almost imagine her new size! Thanks for the comprehensive review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, though it's not my cup of tea.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
Short stories usually aren't my first choice (unless I'm short on time).
But, since I do like reading stories about vampires it sounds like they have original plots, not the same old, same old. For instance your comments " not only became the wielder of the cursed brush, but also a renowned artist. However, the question remains, at what cost?"
Doesn't sound like any vampire story I've read. Same with couple of the others. Interesting, may have to check it out.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Some of the stories sound really good. That's nice that there is also done humor in the stories. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

It's really interesting to me to see which stories out of a collection catch people's eyes - and how different they are from the ones I liked the most. Great review!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

melissy370 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:31 Unfortunately, I don't have the fortitude for these kind of books. It does sound like those who enjoy the darker side of life would be pleased with this one though. Thanks for your review.
Welcome :) . Thank you for stopping by.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Espie wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 05:39 Someone once said that we disdain in others what we fear or dislike in ourselves. It's easier said than done, and I can't say it wouldn't be a struggle for me, too. Even a flicker of light can make a difference in utter darkness. Thank you for your interesting review.
Welcome. :)
Even a flicker of light can make a difference in utter darkness.
This is truly a noble take on life.
Thank you for the amazing feedback. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”