Review by Lmahle -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Review by Lmahle -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Lmahle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Of Zots & Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe by Zarqnon the Embarrassed, Zarqnon tackles a possible scenario in which the universe was created. Theodil spends his time in front of a committee, giving a presentation on Zots and Xoodles. The presentation that occurs is a fantastical take on the creation of the universe, helped along by the narration of a child and the musings of the committee. As Theodil creates various Zots and Xoodles, different approaches and arguments about the creation of the universe are reviewed.

The author uses a unique and whimsical style to tell the story. In a form reminiscent of Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss, the story pulls the reader in and has them laughing while tackling an incredibly complex concept. What perhaps makes the story so quirky and fascinating is that the author is autistic, and notes that this story allows the reader to see, in a small way, just how his mind works.

An interesting addition to this book is the artwork that is scattered throughout. Created by a legally blind artist, the work itself is a collection of vague shapes and odd forms. And yet, somehow, the art seemed to perfectly encapsulate what I was feeling as I was reading. It was an inspired addition to the story and rounds out an already extremely well-done book.

Of Zots and Xoodles hooked me before I finished reading the author’s note and kept me intrigued for the entirety of the book. The structure of the book itself is different than most, and the way the author contrasts the words of the committee to the words of the child allows the reader to see the situation from all sides. Well written and well edited, this book was truly a joy to read. It is not often that I read about the creation of the universe with a grin on my face, but there’s a first time for everything!

This story is a fascinating take on a challenging and complex concept with a style that is whimsical and accessible to anyone. Therefore, I give Of Zots & Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I haven’t enjoyed a book this much in quite some time, and I highly encourage anyone to give this one a try. If Dr. Seuss had ever taken a run at writing about the creation of the universe, it may have come out remarkably like this.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lmahle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Lmahle »

If you haven’t yet read this, I highly recommend doing so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”