Review by M Zee -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by M Zee -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by M Zee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s Hard to Be a Vampire is a collection of short stories from Viktoria Faust. The nine tales included in the volume are an intriguing mix of spooky science fiction and horror. With stories that are sometimes funny and always supernatural, the author tackles a diverse number of themes that keep the collection from being monotonous or dreary. From heartache to blood-lust, there’s a little something for everyone in this book. However, that something is probably a little unsettling.

The collection is a short one; the entire volume is a little under a hundred pages, making it a quick read. I consumed the entire book in a single afternoon. I don’t say this as a bad thing, either. Sometimes a reader might be craving a small dose of dread instead of a longer novel. These stories are perfect for that. While most of the stories were decidedly spooky, they were never outright terrifying. Conversely, most of the shorts are introspective and focus on a character's internal conflict. While there may be an outside threat or horrifying situation, Faust’s creations are more likely motivated by their own fears and desires rather than the external danger. This sets It’s Hard to Be a Vampire apart from the standard horror collection. This collection isn’t really about sexy vampires (despite the misleading cover) or gratuitous gore. Faust’s brand of horror is far more insidious and filled with creeping dread.

As with any collection of short stories, It’s Hard to Be a Vampire had some that stood out above the others. My favorite story, “Behind the Door”, was one of the science fiction offerings in the book. The concept was clever and, while not necessarily original, played out in a satisfying manner with a nice twist to the end. Others, like “Narcissus”, were too introspective to provide the suspense necessary for me to connect to it. Some of that may be due to the shorter length of the stories. Though given the book’s variety, I think any horror fiction fan would find something appealing in this collection.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. While I found all the stories entertaining, many were simply too short. Several felt like snippets of something larger and even more intriguing instead of a fully realized story on their own. I would find myself invested in one of the stories just to have it end too suddenly for a satisfying conclusion. There was also a lot of repetition from the author. Many times the same word or phrase repeated in a single paragraph, making it difficult to maintain tension as a reader. Much of this likely has to do with the translation process, as English is not Faust’s first language.

Even with this, I found It’s Hard to Be a Vampire a fun collection, well worth the time to read. While there are plenty of adult themes (from sexual elements, cannibalism, and murder) in the book, there were few overtly explicit moments. The stories may appeal to young adult readers with an interest in exploring horror. In many ways, the writing was reminiscent of the early work of Poppy Z. Brite – evocative and vibrant – while sometimes excessively flowery. I think this book will appeal to readers who enjoy less graphic horror. Personally, I look forward to seeing what world Viktoria Faust invites us to visit next.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like M Zee's review? Post a comment saying so!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I think my favorite story is Narcissus. I had a feeling of what was happening but I enjoyed how it played out.

It took me a couple times reading the first/title story to get what was going on, but I think it was because I expected something different. I would like to see some of the stories expanded into at least novellas instead of just short stories because there's so much more to tell, I think.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like books that have short stories inside. They're perfect when I'm just looking for something quick to read. I like that there is even some comedy in it. Thanks for the review.
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

ou are right, the cover appears to point towards sexy vampires! The collection of stories seem 'fear- reaching!' I am not sure I want to explore the unsettling something or the small doses of dread but I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Wow! I really like your review. You have an eye for detail; I like it. Earlier I was not planning on reading this but now I think I might, especially because I think I'll enjoy the author's style of depicting horror, which is, as you mention, more focused on the character's internal struggles rather than the same old horror story. And this has a science fiction too!!
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
M Zee
Currently Reading:

Post by M Zee »

Vscholz wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 15:56 I think my favorite story is Narcissus. I had a feeling of what was happening but I enjoyed how it played out.

It took me a couple times reading the first/title story to get what was going on, but I think it was because I expected something different. I would like to see some of the stories expanded into at least novellas instead of just short stories because there's so much more to tell, I think.

Thanks for the review!
Isn't it funny how one person's favorite story is someone else's least favorite? I think that usually speaks to how well a writer can be innovative with their writing!

Some of these should definitely be expanded into larger works. There's just that little tease of something in them that isn't quite there! I'd definitely read longer versions from the concepts.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It was great to get your perspective of the book.
Thank you for the great review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have read several volunteer reviews on this book, and it is good to see that different reviewers have different views. Thank you for the review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
M Zee
Currently Reading:

Post by M Zee »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:52 Wow! I really like your review. You have an eye for detail; I like it. Earlier I was not planning on reading this but now I think I might, especially because I think I'll enjoy the author's style of depicting horror, which is, as you mention, more focused on the character's internal struggles rather than the same old horror story. And this has a science fiction too!!
It's definitely for people who like a character versus self kind of conflict, which isn't always my favorite thing but her writing style really grew on me as I kept reading. Thanks for stopping by!
M Zee
Currently Reading:

Post by M Zee »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 03:39 ou are right, the cover appears to point towards sexy vampires! The collection of stories seem 'fear- reaching!' I am not sure I want to explore the unsettling something or the small doses of dread but I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
The cover is actually one of the biggest reservations I had about the book. I was really happy to see that the concept was more complex and interesting than it. I think this is great for horror fans - but creepy short stories aren’t always everyone’s cup of tea! Thanks for stopping by!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I like sci-fi but I'm not into novels with elements of horror and cannibalism. Not sure I'll be reading this. Nice review nonetheless.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”