Review by charmperit -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by charmperit -- You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Post by charmperit »

[Following is a volunteer review of "You, The People" by Pablo Digenio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book You, The People by Pablo Digenio is a fiction thriller that shows the eternal punishments of the people who have made terrible decisions and have done sinful things in his/her life.

The book is composed of six different stories about six different individuals, each having his/her own share of sin. The first chapter is about Rebecca Aseptue, a cruel boss who cares more about her business than the lives of other people. Then, there's Alfred Ditezt who had killed many people including children during the war. Another one is Gary Haits, a maniac who pays whores to spend a night with him just to kill them brutally. One is about a man, Mike Notsew, who cares only about himself and how he can get everything he wants – women, alcohol, and money. Another is John Fiendin who doesn’t choose to live in his reality. Then, Teressa Egrette, an alcoholic who has killed a family during a car accident while driving drunk. As what the karma does to individuals who have done sinful deeds, each of them received their gruesome punishments.

Each chapter of the book starts with art, and along with the title of each story, it shows a glimpse and draws intrigue to the story. The first chapter shows a woman, which is Rebecca in the story, opening a box labeled “K.A.R.M.A.” It is a smart choice of making it the first story out of the six. By turning to the first page of the first chapter of the book, it already gives the idea that this is about karma, where an individual will be experiencing the effects of the actions he/she has done in the past. The book conveys a message that the sinful deeds done will be punished in the future. These sinful deeds in the stories portrayed almost all, if not all, of the seven deadly sins which make sense because each story showed his/her eternal punishment.

Although this is a thriller book, the author’s writing style has a good sense of humor. An example of this is when Rebecca sits in the car, he writes “…the vibration in the seat only further exciting her, wink, wink.” And I like how there’s no need for elaborate description and build up for the characters for me to get hooked in the story. Since the book is comprised of six different stories, the length of each story only spans around ten pages. But reading only for the first few pages already intrigues me and gets my imagination wild of what might be the death of the characters and what could have been the sinful things they have done that lead them to those unfortunate endings.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars; This a good read that tells the consequences of sinful actions. But some parts of the story that includes monsters or out of natural entities seems absurd to me. There are also plenty of noticeable writing errors mostly on lack of using a comma. Some of the first few that lacks a comma are “…instead she continued on…”, “In the blink of an eye the elevator…”, and “…after all she did represent…”

I recommend this book for those who are into thrilling stories but maybe for those who cringe in stories that include monster-like creatures.

You, The People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like charmperit's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love it when books contain a sense of humour - it certainly makes it more interesting. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
alex-koech
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alex-koech »

Rebecca should be a bit lenient to her workers and humanity in general. otherwise the story is thrilling and captivating.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice review here. Great lesson in the book as well. I like reading stories that are moderately short and this is one of them. I would like to read it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I liked this book. I wouldn't mind reading the stories a second time. Some were better than others, but you never knew what to expect. Awesome review!
:tiphat:
charmperit
Currently Reading:

Post by charmperit »

gen_g wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 09:51 I love it when books contain a sense of humour - it certainly makes it more interesting. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
It makes the story less heavy to read ☺
charmperit
Currently Reading:

Post by charmperit »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 00:14 I liked this book. I wouldn't mind reading the stories a second time. Some were better than others, but you never knew what to expect. Awesome review!
Wondering what might be the next story and plot twist, that makes it exciting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”