Review by sonya01 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Review by sonya01 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by OloladeO »

Nine short stories linked by themes of the supernatural. The reviewer sure enjoyed the read and gave it a perfect rating. I am not into horror books, but I am sure that those that favor its genre will find it interesting. Congrats to the author. It must be something to stat writing horror books at the age of 13.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I haven't noticed so much gore or graphic violence in the sample I have read; instead, I've noticed a lot of satire and parody. However, I agree with you about the bitter tone accompanying these unusual, but extremely original horror stories. I'd say this Croatian writer has a lot to offer. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Pensesnse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Pensesnse »

Good review Sonya. It makes me wanna read this brain-watering book, as a lover of horror fiction. Can't wait to lay my fingers on it!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I am a huge horror fan, and I have no problem with gore. Sounds like my perfect read. I'm not much on short stories, but I love them in the horror genre. This definitely sounds like it contains stories after my own heart. Thanks for your review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Vampire stories are not really for me, but I do love the cover image and I found your review interesting, thanks :)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I have little interest in horror and vampire stories. But after reading this review I am a bit curious to read out the book .
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

It's Hard to be a Vampire is Viktoria Faust's collection of horror stories she authored over 20 years. Having read pages of the book, I expect the stories, while grim and dark, to be underlined with humor. That is evident in the first story. Humor and absurdity usually go with the sadness that these solitary, isolated characters experience. Again and again, these characters who have stepped into the dark side are obsessed with experiencing human life in all its pleasures and joys while rebelling against some parts of it. I like the review by sonya01, conveying her enjoyment of reading the book and her assessment of the author's writing. She writes: "Each story is highly individual in its imagination and approach, but they are all dark beyond belief. As a huge fan of horror stories, I couldn’t pass up the chance to read this book. I wasn’t disappointed. The writing was elegant and mature." That is important to me as I have experienced time and again, there are stories that are hard to bear but you cannot stop yourself from reading them because of the compelling and magnetic writing. In the case of Viktoria Faust, the character and thinking of her protagonists are illustrated through her words. Her writing is clear, her sentence structure is simple but powerful and her words evoke the humor, absurdity, sadness and irony her characters are trapped in. This book is definitely for the enjoyment of adults interested in dark themes of existence.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I believe that the stories also show that it would take a really strong-minded person. Knowing the teenagers of the current time they would doubly enjoy this book. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the book
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I rarely read short horror stories because most of it feels rushed, and as you pointed out, leave readers like me unfulfilled. It's great to know that this book won't be the same. I love reading horror stories from time to time and the supernatural is one of my favorites. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Mtulis Davison
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mtulis Davison »

What a nice book. It message is relevant at the moment. Nice one Victoria
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I have never been a fan of short stories. It always seemed so rushed or incomplete. But I am willing to give this book a try.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is definitely not for me, but I loved reading your review about its contents. I think it is wonderful the author began writing at such a young age and has developed into the talented writer she is today. Fans of the horror genre will thoroughly enjoy this one. Unfortunately, my stomach cannot handle the gore. If yours can, this collection of short stories is calling your name! Thanks, again!
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. The book has thrilling horror short-stories. The stories are independent and concise but quite impactful. As mentioned in the review by Sonya01, this book would definitely be enjoyed by readers of horror stories but not young children as it has quite a few horrifying instances.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I read the sample and was immediately reminded of the underworld movie. It is quite an interesting book to read. Congratulations to the author and to you for this nice review.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Reading the title I thought this was going to be an angst ridden teen vampire novel. I was pleasantly surprised to read they were actual short horror stories. The overweight vampire made me laugh but I’m not sure if that is what either the reviewer or author were aiming for. I think this collection sounds very interesting.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”