Review by sonya01 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Review by sonya01 -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Viktoria Faust. The name rolls off the tongue and evokes images of medieval horror. This is clearly what the author had in mind when she adopted this pen name and began writing horror stories at the age of thirteen. It’s Hard to Be a Vampire represents one of almost fifty books written by Ms. Faust, also dubbed the “Croatian Queen of Horror.”

This is a collection of nine short stores, totaling just over one hundred pages. By all accounts, it is a quick read. The stories are varied and unconventional, with “Gallery of Horrors” and “The Painting Strikes Back” forming two parts of the same story. These should be read together. The rest stand alone, as the reader descends deeper into the dark realms of the macabre.

The stories are linked by themes of the supernatural, as well as main characters who all display a variety of personality disorders. Sandra, in the opening chapter, is clearly obese and has issues with her body image. She cannot be accepted as a vampire unless she loses considerable weight. Conversely, we also meet Narcissus, a perfectly exquisite woman who is desperately in love with herself. She flies into a jealous, murderous rage when a prospective suitor approaches her. You see, her love for herself is so strong, she cannot share it with anyone else, as one unlucky admirer soon finds out

One artist is struggling to make his paintings more realistic until he discovers a gruesome technique which imbues the images with extraordinary, life-like qualities. The hauntingly beautiful tale entitled “Ghosts from the River” shows the author’s writing at its finest. Sometimes the endings are sad and poignant; sometimes there is an unexpected twist. In every case, the reader is left asking themselves, “What just happened there?”

“Behind the Door” was one story that was completely beyond me, and I struggled to understand what it was all about. Despite reading it twice, I am still none the wiser. The writing is rich and evocative, but the story left me with a big question mark. Perhaps this is what the author intended - I cannot say for sure.

Each story is highly individual in its imagination and approach, but they are all dark beyond belief. As a huge fan of horror stories, I couldn’t pass up the chance to read this book. I wasn’t disappointed. The writing was elegant and mature. Careful attention to grammatical detail and excellent editing impressed me, especially as English is not the author’s first language. There were smatterings of small mistakes through the book, but these were not serious and could easily be forgiven.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Short horror stories can be a bit of a gamble, and if rushed, can leave the reader feeling unfulfilled. This was not the case. There are solid storylines throughout. Admittedly, it is replete with gore, so much so that I am quite glad this book isn’t longer: the continued recurrence of blood and violence can get a bit much after a while.

Enthusiasts of horror fiction will be thrilled, especially those who are not averse to over-the-top gore. However, if you are a reader who has no stomach for blood and violence, I suggest you give this book a wide berth. Devoutly religious people will find the contents offensive. So will those who don’t enjoy stories of vampires and ghosts. There are overt sexual references in a couple of the stories. On many levels, this is definitely not a book for younger readers, not even young teenagers. Nor is it for the faint-hearted.

Paradoxically, Viktoria Faust has also written a children’s book, which has piqued my interest. She assures her readers there is hardly any violence in that one. All in all, I think It’s Hard to Be a Vampire is a great collection by a talented author. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to reading more short stories written by her.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sonya01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

It is great to read that a collection of short stories has been well done. I've never really been a fan of them as they always seem too incomplete. I'm still passing on this one though as a result of your warnings. Vampires, gore, and violence really aren't for me. Wonderful review. I've never done a review of short stories; it seems like quite the challenge to discuss a book that doesn't have one clearly defined story line. You did it well.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love horror; that sounds creepy, no? I don't scare easy. Viktoria and I will be friends, it seems. I like the sound of macabre; it's one of my favorite words.

I hope to read these startlers soon. Boo!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'll definitely enjoy reading this, as I'm a lover of a good horror fiction. Looking forward to reading this soonest. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 18:41 I love horror; that sounds creepy, no? I don't scare easy. Viktoria and I will be friends, it seems. I like the sound of macabre; it's one of my favorite words.

I hope to read these startlers soon. Boo!
I also love horror, and get weird looks because of it. It’s nice to meet a kindred spirit! Thanks for reading and commenting :)
Sonya Nicolaidis

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 12:12 It is great to read that a collection of short stories has been well done. I've never really been a fan of them as they always seem too incomplete. I'm still passing on this one though as a result of your warnings. Vampires, gore, and violence really aren't for me. Wonderful review. I've never done a review of short stories; it seems like quite the challenge to discuss a book that doesn't have one clearly defined story line. You did it well.
Thanks so much. I enjoyed every minute of reading this book and writing the review. Appreciate your kind comments.
Sonya Nicolaidis

T_stone wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 19:37 I'll definitely enjoy reading this, as I'm a lover of a good horror fiction. Looking forward to reading this soonest. Thanks
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for commenting!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am pretty much everything in your paragraph of someone not wanting to read this book. :) Nevertheless, I really enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing your views on it.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I also struggled with "Behind the Door." I really think that it is because of the cultural differences--it may make sense in Europe, but it doesn't necessarily translate well for American readers.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I've seen some great reviews on this book. Yours included. I haven't really gotten into vampire books, other than Twilight, but I think I'll try this one. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Oh wow! This sounds good! I'm totally going to read this. Thanks for your thorough review :D
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A collection of stories revolving around vampires and ghosts sounds good. It is good that the stories are varied and linked by themes of the supernatural. That the writing was elegant and almost errors-free is another plus. I am not fond of horror stories and gore, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like an intriguing book for fans of this genre. Vampires and horror thrillers are not my thing, though. I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for the enlightening review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Someone who can't be accepted as a vampire unless she loses weight? That's definitely unique! This sounds like a creative book of short stories. Definitely something I need to look into reading. Thanks so much for your insight on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

A collection of vampire stories intended to make a reader afraid to be by himself and look left and right as he reads this novel one eerie night.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”