Review by debbielouise -- Protostar by Braxton Cosby

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Review by debbielouise -- Protostar by Braxton Cosby

Post by debbielouise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Protostar" by Braxton Cosby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Protostar is the first book in the Star-Crossed Saga, a series of Sci-Fi novels written by Braxton Cosby.

One of the main characters is Prince William, who takes on a mission to restore the legacy of his family and the kingdom of Fabricius. His journey takes him to earth where he is supposed to destroy a Star-child and return to Fabricius as a hero. However, unknown to him his rivals have also sent warriors to hunt for the same Star-child.

Sydney is the unsuspecting Star-child, who as far as she knows was orphaned as a child and raised by Sarah, her grandmother, but apart from that lives an ordinary life. When William meets Sydney she is not what he expected, and he does not know how to deal with the new emotions he is experiencing. William has to decide whether to complete his mission and kill the Star-child, which would restore honour to his family, or to abort the mission and follow his heart to rescue Sydney, preventing him from ever returning home to his own Kingdom.

This is a great book that is really well written and has a gripping storyline. The characters are well developed and so likeable that you are immediately brought into their world and just hoping that they make it through together.

The story is full of suspense, making it hard to put the book down. The author brings the story to life from the start of the book and cleverly weaves the back-story into the narrative, so you can understand William’s mission and what was at stake without having to know everything about the Fabricius Kingdom, which would have bogged the story down with too much information.

I would not normally choose to read a Sci-Fi novel but this book had plenty of romance and adventure to balance out the Sci-Fi aspects. I did feel that when Sydney found out that William was not from earth her reaction was too muted and she accepted it very quickly. However, this was the only part of the story where reality jarred with the science fiction.

Protostar would appeal to young adults and anyone else who enjoys a good romance and adventure story. The romance scenes are subtle and not explicit in any way, and William and Sydney’s heroic antics for the sake of love are refreshing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a great blend of romance, fantasy and suspense. I look forward to reading the next books in the Star-Crossed Saga.

Protostar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debbielouise's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I agree with you. I didn't want to book down either. My favorite thing about the book was the forbidden love between William and Sydney. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I have been looking at the description of this book for a while, but I wasn't sure about reading it. After reading your thorough review, I recognize it's not a book for me. I'm not a romance reader, and I don't think I would be a fan of this plot. That's what reviews are for! Thank you!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”