Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by ObsessedBookNerd -- Chasing The Red Queen

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of Chasing the Red Queen: Blood Fang, Sault Ste. Marie by Karen Glista which is a vampire romance novel with a unique story/plot. In the story, the reader meets the main character, Donja Bellanger who is a descendant of the Ojibwe tribe of the Durent Clan. After the death of her father, she starts to hide behind the gothic style of makeup and clothes. Donja has a little brother, Frankie who she adores. They will be moving away from the only home that they have ever known and their Grandmother, Anna. She tries to endure the reality that she is moving her senior year of high school to a completely different city because her mother is getting married. She will have a new stepsister, Makayla who is completely different from her style and she will need to learn to find her place in this new family dynamic. This will not be the greatest challenge she is going to face when there is a sadistic killer on the loose, hunting women in Sault Ste. Marie which is the new city she is living in. Secrets of her family lineage and past will bring a whole new perspective on her life, especially when she grabs the attention of the supernatural world. She will be drawn to Torin Mancini, a detective in the human world and an Iridescent to the supernatural world. He uses his job and abilities to solve the crimes that are supernatural so that their secrets will remain hidden from humans. Donja turns to Torin when she realizes her life and her family is in danger, and the only way to stay safe may be to sacrifice the very thing that she is trying to protect.

There were many things that I enjoyed about this novel. I love reading the Sci-fi/Fantasy genre so the book caught my attention. The characters were unique and the author accurately conveyed the struggle of being a teenager, growing up, separating from friends/boyfriends, problems within a family, dealing with mental health issues, and facing the world. I think that this was important because even though it is fantasy, it makes the story seem realistic. I was also fascinated by how the author used Chippewa/Ojibwa spiritual beliefs and rituals throughout the story. The information is accurate that they did live in Canada and the Northern United States, around the Great Lakes. I really liked how Sault Ste. Marie is a real place and that the author describes the area. It made me want to take a vacation to visit the sights and scenery that the author vividly describes. There are many things that are so interesting and unique about the story that I was able to enjoy it immensely.

There are a few things within the story that I disliked. The brutality, sadism, violence, rape, mutilation, and some other atrocities that were throughout the book was difficult to read. At times through the story, the author got very descriptive of very gory and sensitive subjects which made me not want to read parts of the book. I definitely think that this is a novel for adults and it should probably not be read by anyone under the 18 years old age limit. There are also love/sexual scenes which also makes me think that this is for adults.

I think for adult readers who are looking for a book similar to the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers or Fifty Shades Series by E.L. James this is a book that you will want to read. It has a unique story and a different kind of vampire. It's similar to Twilight because it has Native American stories/culture throughout, and are a different kind of vampire. The vampires in this book are called Iridescent and it's an immortal spirit. They can walk in daylight and drink blood. They also have mates which gave a similarity to Twilight. It is also similar to the Fifty Shades series because of the upper class (rich people) feeling and the love scenes that got quite intense. It's also similar because of the struggles of being in a relationship with someone so different. Throughout both, the reader sees the inner struggle of the characters, especially the male leads (Torin from Chasing the Red Queen, Christian from Fifty Shades) with the events of their past. I think any adult reader who wants to read a vampire fantasy novel should give this book a chance, particularly if a reader is trying to find a unique vampire novel.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I give the book this rating because the book seemed professionally edited. I found a couple of spelling mistakes but no grammatical errors. I gave it this rating because I downloaded it multiple times on many apps, followed the directions on the website on what to do and still I had chapters missing. I missed chapters from Memoires to Mental Misfits and had to buy the story online. I would recommend the author fix the spelling of the title Memoires and to put the definition of Soo at the beginning of the book because I initially thought it was a spelling error until it is later described in the story. I also gave it this rating because I felt that there should have been a warning for the adult content of the book in the summary. It took me by surprise which made me unprepared for some of the scenes. Otherwise, I am delighted to find a unique and interesting vampire story with Native American culture that reminded me of the Twilight Saga.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ObsessedBookNerd's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The story of main character, Donja, is a story about the life of that protagonist from start of the childhood to the till continue. She wants the safety of her brother and to herself also but her supernatural world is a danger to her ambitions. Thanks for giving a thorough review.
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

Thanks for the review. I have read Twilight. However, I wasn't a big fan. While I usually like supernatural I am not a huge fan of romance. Thanks for comparing the book to it. This book sounds more interesting than Twilight!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could watch vampire movies because I could always do so with my husband around and I could cover my eyes when it gets too scary. However, I am yet to find a way to read a book's dreaded details with my eyes closed, though. Nonetheless, thank you for your thoughtful and honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I was considering reading this book and thank goodness I first read your review. I now do not want to read it. I do not like Twilight/Fifty Shades of Grey so your thorough review was quite helpful.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”