Review by Cotwani -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am sure you have heard people say their departed loved ones are watching over them. R.J Petrella takes this concept a notch higher by magically spinning it into a fictional crime thriller that is literally out of this world! In Days of the Giants, a deceased church minister, watches over his son, from the city of God – naturally! In doing this, he decides to help the son, Slate Barnes, document a certain event. The bizarre part is, Slater does not know his father is giving the reader ‘insider’ information on the tale he is narrating! Isn’t this setup clearly in the stranger than fiction domain?

A physician from Boston, Petrella ‘treats’ the reader to a very convincing, first-class tour of both public and private hospital medical provision. The insurance politics that usually plague service delivery in these hospitals is interesting to follow. Medical school routines, patient diagnoses, and treatments are discussed in terms that don’t fly over the reader’s head! Even where medical terminology is unavoidable, its usage somehow still leaves the ‘lay’ reader in the loop! The book is compelling, right from the title, which incidentally, refers to the era legends in the medical field walked the corridors of Boston City Hospital.

Unlike the proverbial fool and his money - who are soon parted, politics and corruption are never strange bed-fellows! Two ‘sister’ hospitals, separated by a walkway, are at the center of this book’s politics – and the tag-along uncanny corruption. Boston City Hospital is a government managed public hospital. Its infrastructure is dilapidated and literally falling apart. The high-end Boston Academy Hospital, on the other hand, is privately owned and boasts state of the art infrastructure. Having more than enough money from its elite clientele, the Academy hospital wants to expand but its expansion proposal is denied due to a technicality in the city by-laws.

Coming hot on the heels of the Academy’s expansion rejection is the mayor’s big political gambit - the legacy he envisions himself leaving. He announces the expansion and refurbishing of City hospital at an astronomical amount, never mind that the government can't really raise even half of it! Herein lies the opportunity of a lifetime, that a shrewd government official discovers: His department could ‘help’ the Academy buy City Hospital, on the pretext of taking over the shortfall in the mayor’s expansion plan. Wouldn’t he and a few others then earn the ‘good life’ they deserve - through bribes, of course?! A few staff members at City Hospital, however, smell a rat and refuse to accept the proposed 'merger' lying down. In the same vein, the corruption ‘conveyor belt’ stretching from some individuals at the Academy to the compromised government officials would rather play foul than back down. You just have to pick up this book if you want to see how the stand-off degenerates into a dangerously twisted drama!

Slater Barnes, an intern at City Hospital, charmingly narrates the drama in the first person. His narration takes the form of a one-on-one conversation with the reader. His dad intermittent makes clarifying additions in the third person, throughout Slater’s narration. I must commend Petrella for using this interplay between the two characters to develop an exciting true-story-like quality read. I couldn’t shake off the feeling that I was reading a memoir! The author also cleverly engages the reader’s deductive skills. You see, somebody died in the prologue. The author masterfully uses this piece of information to keep the reader on tenterhooks, every so often fearing a character was soon going to be whacked! I thoroughly enjoyed holding my breath in such moments!

There are many subplots to this story, which the author effectively reins in so that the reader is never too far from the main plot. This is no minor feat, though, because each subplot comes complete with its own twist! My opinion kept shifting with each twist. For example, I first thought Slater was simply being the snarky adolescent with his stepdad. Then I graduated to the feeling that he had unresolved personal issues. Finally, I arrived at the ‘what the heck?!' zone. The characters were also so well developed that reading the book felt like watching an episode of ER that has a lot at stake! The protagonist, Slater, grew from an indecisive alcoholic to a focused fighter and leader. Sophie, Slater’s girlfriend, also outgrew her insecurities.

Greed and the ‘power of the masses,’ formed a significant part of this story. Nevertheless, the most outstanding theme was the fact that we are all wired differently. This makes us thrive in different realms. The doctor who finds fulfillment in relieving the suffering of a homeless man, for instance, will not be effective in an establishment that wants to first ensure a patient can pay for its premium service.

The few typos I encountered in the book did not interfere with the flow of the story. The downside to having so much happening at the same time was that a few threads were not properly tacked-in. To give an example, I still have not figured Slater’s brother’s role. He remained abstract in the whole story. In addition, descriptions were occasionally too long, and the protagonist consistently used the phrase, ‘I swear to God.' I think this could be offensive to people who are serious with God.

The minor issues above have no hold in the bigger picture of the superb plot delivery. I, therefore, have no reason not to rate Days of the Giants 4 out of 4 stars! I recommend it to all readers looking for a casual, engaging read. Even younger readers can have a blast with this one! In addition, the different concepts stirred up by the book could provide many discussion points to book clubs.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Too many subplots can be bad sometimes. It's nice to see that the author tried not to stray too much from the main plot. The concept of the book is interesting and unique. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am currently reading this one. Thanks dor the lengthy and comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems like it has a lot going on from your review. It has so many plots and subplots, which can make it tiring to read. I will pass on this one. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

prospero360 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 14:18 Too many subplots can be bad sometimes. It's nice to see that the author tried not to stray too much from the main plot. The concept of the book is interesting and unique. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading and giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sushan wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 13:45 I am currently reading this one. Thanks dor the lengthy and comprehensive review 👍👍
I hope you are enjoying the book.

I appreciate your reading and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

T_stone wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 14:33 This book seems like it has a lot going on from your review. It has so many plots and subplots, which can make it tiring to read. I will pass on this one. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love hospital stories; the thrill of saving lives is addictive to me. The father's meddling in Slater's storytelling is heartwarming. I hope to get my hands on this book soon.

P.S. While fiction, the story rings true. Greed makes even the originally noble fall from grace.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The plot sounds a little too odd for me. Having the deceased father help his son write a story is not something I am interested in. However, I am glad you enjoyed it and thank you for your review.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Reading your review makes the book sound interesting but it's not usually in a genre I'm into. Would you consider it more spiritual/religious fiction? Or a mystery/thriller?
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

This book sounds fascinating! Mysteries and crime and spirituality, oh my! Thank you so much for your in-depth and engaging review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oooooh, I love hospital stories! And you really made this one and its characters come to life!
Thanks, Cotwani - I loved this review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like the way you had expressed your review! Kick right on the fist! Thank you for this comprehensive and delightful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The character development and plot twists would make this appealing to me.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

There seems to be a whole lot of sub-plots in this one, but I feel the author has successfully managed to make a compelling piece by tying it all together. I find the themes to be engaging. Thanks for the comprehensive review; I really enjoyed reading it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”