Review by Vscholz -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Vscholz -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Croatian “Queen of Horror” Viktoria Faust presents a collection of nine short stories in It's Hard to Be a Vampire. The stories address the notion of our own mortality and how we try to increase our lives or at least our impacts on the world around us. This collection opens with the story of a young woman longing to be turned into a vampire, but then it moves into other forms of horror. From going to extreme lengths for artistic success to the perils of artistic creation, Faust creates unsettling settings that are sure to inspire uneasiness.

When I first came across this anthology, I was quite excited. I read a lot of paranormal books, many of which are intentionally humorous, and I thought Faust's collection would be right at home on my digital shelves. The first story shows how romanticized vampires are, especially in western culture; vampires are almost always portrayed as sexy and mysterious, able to woo their prey before either turning them or killing them. Unfortunately for the protagonist, vampires can be just as judgmental about physical attractiveness as humans, perhaps because they have much longer lifespans.

Each of the stories is memorable—to a certain extent. I found myself going back to re-read sections more often than normal, but I attribute this anomaly to cultural differences. I have not read many translated books or even many from non-Anglo countries, so I think I was working harder on a subconscious level, thus taking away from my initial comprehension. Now that I have finished reading the book, I have a better understanding of each story. However, I believe that I will need to read it a few more times to fully appreciate this collection. It is also important to note that while Faust is Croatian, her stories have no specific setting; this ambiguity allows readers to imagine the stories being local, thus making it even creepier for readers across the globe.

I was a bit frustrated that this collection did not have as much humor as I expected and that it did not have as many vampires as the title implied. I am a fan of horror and the macabre, and I understand that there are only so many types of stories, but I did not find much originality in several of the tales. One story reminded me of Stephen King's Misery with a slight twist, and another was reminiscent of King's The Mist. King is an icon of horror, and imitation is said to be the highest form of flattery, but I would have preferred more variety in such imitation.

The main obstacle I had with rating this book is the culture barrier. Faust's title of "Queen of Horror" in her home of Croatia does not seem to transcend national boundaries, and I think that impacts my perception of her writing. With that in mind, I rate this collection 3 out of 4 stars. There were more than ten grammatical/punctuation errors, so I cannot give it a perfect rating. I would consider reading other works by Faust to get a better feel for her writing, and I would recommend this collection to fans of horror, especially Stephen King, and those who enjoy international tales.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like paranormal. When it has to do with ghost. I might try a vampire book. Thanks for the review.
:tiphat:
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 00:20 I like paranormal. When it has to do with ghost. I might try a vampire book. Thanks for the review.
I LOVE ghost stories! I find them to be quite terrifying--I am more afraid of ghosts than I am of serial killers. Thank you for the comment! :D
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have enjoyed reading your insightful review. I pretend to be unperturbed by horror movies, but I cover my eyes through most of them. Reading them would be an altogether new level. I'm however glad that you enjoyed - to a point, the book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 03:50 I have enjoyed reading your insightful review. I pretend to be unperturbed by horror movies, but I cover my eyes through most of them. Reading them would be an altogether new level. I'm however glad that you enjoyed - to a point, the book!
I LOVE horror and suspense, but I do admit that it sometimes gets to me. Slasher films are pure entertainment, but when it comes to ghosts and aliens, I sometimes need to watch cartoons afterwards--especially if I am alone. Thank you for your comment!
eddywiz9
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddywiz9 »

I'm always excited about ghost stories but always scared though. I appreciate your review a lot
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The stories address the notion of our own mortality and how we try to increase our lives or at least our impacts on the world around us.

I love your take on the book. Incidentally, your rating of the book matches mine.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Kajori50 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 10:27 The stories address the notion of our own mortality and how we try to increase our lives or at least our impacts on the world around us.

I love your take on the book. Incidentally, your rating of the book matches mine.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Great minds, friend! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”