Review by erinb79 -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
erinb79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinb79.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by erinb79 -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by erinb79 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill, written by Jennie Linnane, is an all-around excellent book for anyone looking for a little drama. There isn't anything over-the-top, but it isn't too wishy-washy either. I could find no errors except for a single mark missing, leaving nothing negative to report. The relatability with the situation and characters brings this book to an even higher level.

Alcohol abuse is a predominant problem in today's society. Not even just men can have this problem, although they have a tendency to be more violent. An alcoholic has little control over what they do, and the more they drink the worse it is. Even stressful financial situations (like selling prized possessions) happens because of their abuse of the drink. Natalie's step-father has this affliction which makes this story relatable to so many. Other's with a similar situation will absolutely love this book, and it might even help them break loose from a similar terrible situation.

Natalie's father died when she was very young and a nasty stepfather (Alex) soon took his place. As the oldest of a brother with a disability, and two sisters, she goes to work every day at sixteen years old, rather than go to school, to help her mother pay for groceries. They are poor because Alex likes to drink too much and doesn't work. Natalie then falls in love with the husband of the woman she works for. This should seem wrong because he is much, much older than she is, and he is married. Even though this is an important part of the story, there is not a big amount of time spent on this issue, and it seems very played down. The author tells you just enough to tie in with the bigger story; the grand finale. I can't give this ending away, but it will end with a bang.

It is very enjoyable to read the descriptive as it takes place in Australia, and this country is kind of a mystery to me. Hidden within the story are little gems of description that paint the picture well. At first, we learn about the drought, and then toward the end, it finally rained: "Down from the hills came the flood, flattening all the brown grasses, picking up the soil and dumping it all into the raging, foaming creek". Even simple things like "Riverview" is described in a completely original way: "The residence, more than a century old, was clad in weatherboard of the warmest hue of mushroom and verandas embraced the house all around and drew in their garland of azaleas, oleanders, and hydrangeas." These small additions to the book have made the biggest difference between a good book and an exceptional book.

There are enough things going in Ironbark Hill to keep you reading, and it remains a smooth and pleasant read. There was no confusion between characters or plots. The ending was surprisingly tied up quickly without feeling rushed, although I knew the outcome quite a bit earlier in the book. I highly recommend Ironbark Hill and rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like erinb79's review? Post a comment saying so!
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I always like to read other people's opinion of a book after I'm done writing my review. It is fun to see from which angle people liked it and what they did not like. I agree with most of what you said, I gave it a four star review too. But, I wanted to see Bruce Glover suffer a bit more than he did in the book. All-in-all, this was an interesting read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”