Review by Juliar252 -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by Juliar252 -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Juliar252 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Escape by Mark Levin combines science fiction, academia, and romance in a thrilling novel that follows the protagonist, Jennifer, as she time travels from the thirtieth century to the twenty-first century. As a captain in the thirtieth century, Jennifer is on a mission to infect the immoral and inhumane Syndos with a virus that will make them more compassionate and save the Naturals from extinction. After planning and starting the mission, Jennifer abandons her crew and uses time travel to seek asylum and relaxation in the twenty-first century. As a refugee from the future, she fakes amnesia and attempts to assimilate into the twenty-first-century culture. Fortunately, after being marooned on an island for four months, she is rescued by a group of researchers. Once these researchers realize her incredible intelligence and resourcefulness, they take her in, become her friends, and help expedite her return to society.

Once she settles into her new life, Jennifer explores her passions for archaeology, physics, and marine biology; she also falls in love and discovers deep family secrets. These layers create a multidimensional storyline that jumps between her earning a Ph.D., exploring her romantic interests, and managing the guilt of leaving her crew behind. After many plot twists and unexpected turns, the story resolves with Jennifer returning to the thirtieth century to settle her conscious and ensure her mission was successful. After briefly visiting the thirtieth century to save a few crew members, Jennifer permanently returns to the life she built in the twenty-first century.

Overall, Escape is an exciting, fast-paced novel full of fascinating concepts and futuristic technology. I loved how the author left nothing to be desired when it came to technical detail, which is unique with this genre of futuristic science fiction. I appreciated how the author explained time travel, Jennifer’s Ph.D. work, and some of the advanced technology. However, the explanations were too pedantic and drawn out at times. For example, when the author was describing Jennifer’s Ph.D. work, he spent almost an entire chapter on the intricacies of her thesis approval, which I found a little dry and difficult to read.

Jennifer’s character development was thorough and interesting to follow as she evolved in response to her trying circumstances. Her personality had many complex and interesting layers from her past and present lives that added to the depth of her character. However, the novel was written in a third person voice, which made it difficult for me to connect with her on a personal level. Additionally, all of the dialogue between the characters was very formal, and as a result, the conversations sometimes felt forced rather than natural.

It's important to note that this book contains many romantic scenes, which I had not anticipated. While they were well-written and less cliché than most, they were my least favorite part of the book. I felt there was too much emphasis on the erotic scenes, almost to the point where the book was more romance than science fiction.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was engaging and explored many unique concepts. While I didn’t love the writing style or abundance of romantic scenes, I didn’t rate it 2 stars because I was captivated by the plot and didn’t want the book to end. The book was also very well edited and had only a couple editing errors. However, I cannot give this book 4 out of 4 stars because there were too many romantic scenes for my taste, and the third person voice made it difficult for me to connect with the main character. Readers who enjoy futuristic science fiction, detailed examinations of complex theories, and romance will love this book. However, this is not a book for lovers of action and suspense as there is no external conflict or consistent enemy force. Ultimately, Escape is an engaging and thought-provoking novel that I found difficult to put down.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Juliar252's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's sometimes difficult for an author to draw the line between when too much information is TOO MUCH information. And I know how it feels to try to get through it.
I'm glad it was an enjoyable book overall!
I thoroughly enjoyed your review - thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds really fascinating, if not for the drawn-out explanations provided. I agree with you about unneeded romance ; it can be quite the chore to get through it if not properly developed. Nonetheless, I'm still glad that you enjoyed this. Thank you very much for the informative review – I enjoyed reading it!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I remember this being a very polarizing book. The first half was quite interesting, but the abundance of erotic scenes (some coming out of nowhere) left a very sour impression on me. You explained your rating well though. Thanks for this review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”