Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you hear the word 'surgeon', what comes to your mind? Is it an image of a doctor holding surgical instruments and performing a surgery? Then you're in for a huge surprise. Surgeons we get to know in McDowell are politicians engaging in politics related to healthcare.

McDowell written by William H. Coles is a fiction consisting of two parts, the rise and fall of surgeon Hiram McDowell. It consists of 72 chapters and is written using the third person multiple point of view. Informal language is used for this.

Hiram McDowell is a surgeon who has a passion for mountain climbing. He has already climbed all the highest mountains in Nepal. The first part of the novel is about Hiram's rise to power. He is elected to the board of directors of international college of surgeons. But he is an ambitious man. So he sways votes in favour of him to become the president of the board but forgets to keep his promises which leads to many problems in his life. He is also nominated as the secretary for health and human services.

Among his three children, his daughter Sophie who is a photographer and Paige Sterling a television journalist play major roles in the events taking place in his life.
The death of Hiram's grandson who commits suicide leads to the imprisonment of Hiram. This is the turning point in his life. The second part of the fiction is about his life after he escapes from prison. It revolves around what he learns about life, how those life lessons change him while Paige, a detective agency hired by Paige, and authorities try to capture him.

Though the plot looks simple enough, it has such a depth to it. What I liked most about this book is how readers feel a myriad of emotions throughout the book. All directed at a single character. It is written in such a way even the reader doesn't know when his feelings towards Hiram changes. In the beginning, you completely despise him but by the end of the book, you want him to succeed and the authorities to fail.

I liked how the author was capable of capturing the reality so well. Every reaction of Hiram was genuine and realistic. All characters were credible. Character development was incredible. Nothing was artificial. Also, the author discussed a lot of issues prevailing in modern society like the plight of women in third world countries, journalism for political gain, adultery, incestuous relationships, mass school murder, suicide, corruption, parental neglect etc. This fiction gave insight on Nepal and its culture as well.

What I disliked is the way the author has given excessive details on almost everything except for those things of importance. For an example, to describe a building or the clothes of a person he spends paragraphs while he has only said Hiram escaped prison using a single line. No details regarding how it was done or anything else regarding it were found in this fiction.

The ePub copy I got wasn't edited properly. It lacked so many spaces. Therefore, it took more than the necessary effort to read the book and it was extremely hard to track errors since you can't find errors with a glance. This made me deduct a star. So I'm scoring it 3 out of 4 stars. Even if the excessive descriptions were a turnoff for me, it's not enough to deduct another star. Also, the depth of the book and the character development more than made up for those minor flaws.

I'd like to recommend this book to those who like to read about issues in modern society and are fed up with protagonists who are always doing the right things. I don't think this will be suitable for young readers since there are some sensitive issues within the context.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Hiruni Bhagya 81's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

you have explained McDowell by William H. Coles in an collaborative manner. I have also written a review of the same book recently and it got published. but your one is distinct because you have defined surgeon and doctor also.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:01 you have explained McDowell by William H. Coles in an collaborative manner. I have also written a review of the same book recently and it got published. but your one is distinct because you have defined surgeon and doctor also.
Thanks for your motivating comments. It's really awesome how different people interpret the same book in different ways.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Hiram is a remarkable name for use in the novel. I could recall the name Hiram Abiff of the Freemason legend, or that Ulysses Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant. Other Hirams are kings, and this name must be of royal connotation. So, could the name been soiled a bit having let Mcdowell assume it? Thanks for your interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 22:08 Hiram is a remarkable name for use in the novel. I could recall the name Hiram Abiff of the Freemason legend, or that Ulysses Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant. Other Hirams are kings, and this name must be of royal connotation. So, could the name been soiled a bit having let Mcdowell assume it? Thanks for your interesting review.
'Hiram' is not a very common name. I think it means 'high born' in Hebrew. Maybe that's why the author used it for the protagonist since he thinks so highly of himself. Thanks for your comments.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like your intro and your point about the surgeon.There was nothing in the story of how he escaped from prison. It's not like you can just walk out. Great point! Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's true in the two parts of the book Hiram evokes mixed reactions in the reader. I also found myself rooting for him - yet I had so hated him earlier. Keen of you to notice amidst all the descriptions, his escape from jail is executed in just one sentence! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Cotwani wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 22:25 It's true in the two parts of the book Hiram evokes mixed reactions in the reader. I also found myself rooting for him - yet I had so hated him earlier. Keen of you to notice amidst all the descriptions, his escape from jail is executed in just one sentence! Great review!
I didn't believe I'll be able to feel sorry for Hiram when I read the first part, but somehow the author was able to make me feel sorry for him by the end. That's why I still can't understand why such a capable author didn't explain more about the escape. So thanks for your comments!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Book Lover 35 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 22:59 I like your intro and your point about the surgeon.There was nothing in the story of how he escaped from prison. It's not like you can just walk out. Great point! Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your motivating comments!! Even if I'd like to know more about it, I enjoyed reading this book.
Jaykik
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaykik.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jaykik »

I also felt the same way about Hiram when I read the book: I didn't like him in the first part of the book but from the second part, I began to reason with him and tried understanding why he did what he did. Thanks for the thorough review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Jaykik wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 00:19 I also felt the same way about Hiram when I read the book: I didn't like him in the first part of the book but from the second part, I began to reason with him and tried understanding why he did what he did. Thanks for the thorough review.
Thanks for your comments. Yes, you are correct about wanting to understand his motives for his actions in the second half of the book.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I agree that we are all humans with the same propensity to err, although in varying ways and degrees, like the main character of this piece. I do hope that everyone in this book and in real life could have and maximise a chance at redemption. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Espie wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 20:43 I agree that we are all humans with the same propensity to err, although in varying ways and degrees, like the main character of this piece. I do hope that everyone in this book and in real life could have and maximise a chance at redemption. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Thanks for your motivating comments. I too hope so.
vishmitharuka2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by vishmitharuka2 »

Use of a black character as the protagonist has made this book interesting, instead of using the typical too good to be true character. But this book is too long for my liking. Thanks for the review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Even if there are 72 chapters in this book, they are not too long. So, if you want, you can give it a try. Thanks for dropping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”