Review by prospero360 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review by prospero360 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a fictional biography that revolves around Hiram McDowell and his road to redemption. The story is divided into two parts. The first part details Hiram's life as a surgeon who founded and ran a medical foundation in Nepal. He was also the chair of the International College of Surgeons, and he was nominated by the president to be the United States Secretary of Health. In this part of Hiram's story, the author paints him as a manipulative, womanizing, and uncaring man. The second part of the story follows Hiram and the people that played roles in bringing out a better version of himself.

The book is set in different states in the US and Nepal. The first thing I liked about McDowell was its organization. The author does well to start each chapter with the name of the person and location the chapter is about and set respectively. He also dishes out character's thoughts using italicized writing. This helped me to understand and flow with the story easily. Coles also deploys a very descriptive and fast-paced writing in this book. It made me feel like I was watching the story as a movie, and could hardly put the book down once I began reading.

Furthermore, the author expertly touches several controversial issues like adultery, religion, euthanasia, misogyny, guns, and incest. This made the book more engaging for me and raised a lot of thought-provoking questions. The character development in McDowell is excellent. I really liked how Hiram grew throughout the book and how realistic his growth was. I started out hating Hiram, then I pitied him, and by the end of the book I really liked him. Coles also made sure he utilized every character to the maximum as all the characters had important roles to play in Hiram's growth.

There wasn't much to dislike about this book. It was professionally edited. There were a few errors but none that made my reading difficult. However, it was difficult to understand dialogues in certain parts of the book as I couldn't figure out who was speaking. I also had some trouble following up with the timeline in the book. At the beginning of the book, the author wrote that Hiram's second wife died in 1999 and he married his third wife two years later. However, he went on to talk about Hiram's married life with his third wife in 1999. Instances like this pop up several other times in the book.

Overall, I enjoyed reading McDowell. It was a suspenseful and engaging book. I experienced a wide range of emotions while reading through the story. The book also showed how someone's actions can affect other people. There were also a few moral lessons I learned from McDowell, especially about treating people with respect. I would recommend this book to people who love suspenseful and character-driven crime stories. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. My difficulty to keep up with the timeline and dialogues take out one star for me.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Nice review. Though I am still thinking whether to review this book or not, I really enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Sushan wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 20:50 Nice review. Though I am still thinking whether to review this book or not, I really enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
I think you should give the book a try. Thank you for commenting.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I enjoyed this book as well. There was a lot going on. The book was entertaining from the beginning to the end. Glad you enjoyed it.
:tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I also enjoyed this book. I actually have it a 4-star rating. It's full of lessons and I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

You did a thoughtful and good review👍 i recently finished this novel and really enjoyed it. It covered almost every issue we are facing nowadays.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

I've read this book. It contains a lot of lessons one can learn about life. I particularly enjoyed how the author touches euthanasia.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book itself sounds well organized. The timeline in the book would lose me. However, I do like that the book talks about several different subjects that are a big part of our world today. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”