Review by Sunnyroyish -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by Sunnyroyish -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sunnyroyish »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will Of The Hill by Marshall Cobb is the first book in its series. It is a 107 pages long children's book, though I bet that any adult would love it.

The story is primarily about Will, Dillon and Gertrude aka Intrude. All three of them go to the same hill school. Will and Dillon are best friends, and they love to read comics. Both Will and Dillon are somewhat introverted, but Intrude is the complete opposite. She is the perfect example of a spoiled rich kid. She is bossy and manipulative. She somehow found Will's stash of comics hidden in the school and threatened to tell Ms Early who was the principal of the school. Will being a meek kid was easily dominated by Intrude. She made a deal that if Will managed to convince Dillon to go to her birthday party, she would not tell anything to Ms Early. Will desperately tried to convince Dillon, but it was all in vain. Out of frustration, he told his best friend how Intrude was blackmailing him. After analysing the problem, Dillon came out with a brilliant plan to teach Intrude a lesson and spoil her birthday party. Now I'm not going to tell you the whole story. You have to read it and know the conclusion by yourself.

What stood out to me in the book was the character development. The characters of Will, Dillon and Intrude were so vivid that they felt like real persons to me. My favourite was definitely Intrude. Her character as a nosy and spoiled kid was depicted very well throughout the book. Also, the author was very detailed in his description. The scenario of a hill school and the behaviour of a strict teacher like Ms Early were very authentic. The whole story was filled with funny and interesting incidents. The punishment of scraping gum and boogers off the bottoms of the desks was really nasty, and I pray it never happens to any kid. Overall, the book was a fun read for me, and I absolutely loved reading it.

I have read very few books that are as proficiently edited as this one. I was able to find only one typo in the whole book. I think this is a great achievement for the author. The only character in the book that seemed a little goofy to me was the mathematics teacher. His conspiracy theories were too fanciful for me, though it may vary from person to person.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The reason I gave it a 4 is that the story was funny and interesting. I was glued to the book. I finished it within a couple of hours. Anyone who would like to relive his schooldays must read this book. Children along with adults will definitely love this book.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sunnyroyish's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an exciting read. Just the name, Me early had me chuckling. I'm glad Will does not suffer the blackmail in silence. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Cotwani wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 15:27 Sounds like an exciting read. Just the name, Me early had me chuckling. I'm glad Will does not suffer the blackmail in silence. Great review!
Thanks Cotwani.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I liked this book a lot, too! The math teacher was a bit absurd, but I think it was still a well-written novel. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Vscholz wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 16:07 I liked this book a lot, too! The math teacher was a bit absurd, but I think it was still a well-written novel. Thanks for the review!
I enjoyed it very much. The story was captivating.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

A good children's book is one that can be enjoyed by adults as well. This seems to be such a read.

Thank you for the great review.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Kajori50 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 06:45 A good children's book is one that can be enjoyed by adults as well. This seems to be such a read.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks to you too for commenting.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like a fun book for young readers. Thanks for your review.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

melissy370 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:13 This sounds like a fun book for young readers. Thanks for your review.
It really is a great children's book. Thanks for commenting.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I just finished reviewing this book, and I can't agree with you more on your statement. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Bullying in schools, workplaces, communities or online is a concern, which needs addressing. However, is "an eye for an eye" the real solution that kids need to learn or should it be a different option instead? Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review (again!)
Going by the cover I was expecting it to be geared to a younger age reader but it sounds like it is possibly for a little older kid than I had thought or adults even since you enjoyed it. I may have to read it, you made it sound very enjoyable with only one error as well. Bullying in school unfortunately seems to be the norm any more which unfortunately not addressed as well as it could be. Perhaps it will help a child to see others might be having similar issues.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 00:14 I just finished reviewing this book, and I can't agree with you more on your statement. Thank you for your review!
It really is a nice book. Thank you for your reply.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Espie wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 05:47 Bullying in schools, workplaces, communities or online is a concern, which needs addressing. However, is "an eye for an eye" the real solution that kids need to learn or should it be a different option instead? Thank you for your descriptive review.
Thanks for the compliment.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

fernsmom wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 21:55 Great review (again!)
Going by the cover I was expecting it to be geared to a younger age reader but it sounds like it is possibly for a little older kid than I had thought or adults even since you enjoyed it. I may have to read it, you made it sound very enjoyable with only one error as well. Bullying in school unfortunately seems to be the norm any more which unfortunately not addressed as well as it could be. Perhaps it will help a child to see others might be having similar issues.
Even I was bullied as a kid. So the story was relatable to me. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”