Review by Caylie_Cat -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by Caylie_Cat -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Caylie_Cat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first saw the title of Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella, I immediately thought it had something to do with baseball. I’m not sure why because as an Australian, baseball is not one of our popular sports. I was relieved to find that the book has nothing to do with sport, but is a story about a conflict over the proposed amalgamation of two large teaching hospitals in Boston. The ‘Giants’ it refers to are the great men and women who established the public health system in America and kept it running against the odds. The tale is loosely based on historical facts and persons who served the Boston City Hospital (BCH) prior to the 1970’s, although the merger was never mooted in truth.

The characters are an assortment of administrators, doctors, nurses, patients, and politicians, with the main man being a medical resident named Slater Barnes. Slater had thought he wanted to be a doctor for most of his young life, but when the time came to leave medical school and begin his ‘real’ training at BCH, he is assailed by self-doubt and trepidation. He has a lovely girlfriend named Sofia, and although they are very close and loving, Slater never feels able to share his feelings with her verbally. This ultimately meant that they chose to work in different hospitals in different states and the relationship waned.

The book begins with a prologue describing the brutal murder of a resident doctor late one night. The identity of the unfortunate victim is not revealed until much later in the book, and this sparks a little frisson of suspense. The first three or four chapters set the scene for the story by explaining the prevailing political climate in Boston, Slater’s family history and circumstances, and overall they provide the groundwork required by the reader to understand the nitty-gritty of the plot. Without a lot of personal engagement with the characters, I found the first part of the book to be a little dry and confusing.

This confusion was not aided by the fact that the entire book is written as a chatty narrative, with a style very like you would use in conversation with a good friend at the pub – but from two different narrators, Slater and his deceased father. Although they each had a distinct ‘speaking’ manner, it took me a good while to figure out who narrated each chapter as they sometimes both covered the same event from a different angle. I found the over-familiarity somewhat annoying after a while, though by the end of the book I can see the author’s skill in using this technique to give the plot more depth.

As time goes on, Slater finds that he does really enjoy his residency, though the stress and sleep-deprivation he endures leads him to a dangerous alcohol dependency and a serious health condition of his own. The story continues to weave around the politics and ambitions of the many individuals whose lives depend on the BCH, and the conspiracy surrounding the proposed merger between BCH and Academy Hospital becomes more apparent. Without giving too much away, there are a couple of unexpected twists and surprises in store before the author gathers the threads of the story together to a satisfying conclusion.

The editing was remarkably good, with no punctuation or grammar errors noticed, apart from the colloquial sentence structure the narrators used to make their points. This being like a dialogue, I believe these inconsistencies are a deliberate action on the author’s part to make the characters believable and unique. Having some medical background myself, I feel the jargon and the medical details used are relatively authentic to the period in which the book is set.

I give Days of the Giants 3 out of 4 stars. I would have awarded 3.5 stars if it was possible, deducting a half-star only because the chatty style of the narration annoyed me somewhat. This book should appeal to those who enjoy a complex medical drama, or those who are interested in stories of political machinations behind the scenes. There are no graphic scenes of violence and minimal bad language. I wouldn’t say this is a ‘Giant’ of a story, but the plot is well-planned and well-executed, and although it is a little slow in places it is an enjoyable read.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Caylie_Cat's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for the honest review.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

thaservices1 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 00:44 This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for the honest review.
Thanks for your feedback. :P
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

A nice detailed review. I might take a look at this one.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This book is currently on offer for me to review. At the moment it is frontrunner and, based on your review, I think I will probably go for it.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Dael Reader wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 12:10 A nice detailed review. I might take a look at this one.
Thanks for the feedback :lol:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:23 This book is currently on offer for me to review. At the moment it is frontrunner and, based on your review, I think I will probably go for it.
I hope you enjoy it and thanks for the feedback!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

At first glance, I thought this book is about the mythical titans that ruled before the time of Mt. Olympus. It was only after reading your review that I understood my guess was way out of track. Could be an interesting read. Thanks for your informative review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 08:44 At first glance, I thought this book is about the mythical titans that ruled before the time of Mt. Olympus. It was only after reading your review that I understood my guess was way out of track. Could be an interesting read. Thanks for your informative review.
I'm glad that someone else misinterpreted this. My review editor chastised me for that comment as being unhelpful and out of keeping with the review! :roll: :mrgreen:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 22:26
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 08:44 At first glance, I thought this book is about the mythical titans that ruled before the time of Mt. Olympus. It was only after reading your review that I understood my guess was way out of track. Could be an interesting read. Thanks for your informative review.
I'm glad that someone else misinterpreted this. My review editor chastised me for that comment as being unhelpful and out of keeping with the review! :roll: :mrgreen:
Don't mind much that thing. Some Editors, I suspect, must be hoary spinsters, or very stingy raters. Hah, I am just kidding, but it's no longer my fault if you'd agree.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ooooooh Grey's Anatomy in a book. I'm sold!
This is a great review - thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I REALLY want to read this. It sounds amazing and I love the relaxed narrative. And besides, I absolutely love the book's title. Your review is honestly so good and I can't wait to read more.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

JR Mercier wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 01:34 I REALLY want to read this. It sounds amazing and I love the relaxed narrative. And besides, I absolutely love the book's title. Your review is honestly so good and I can't wait to read more.
Thank you for your kind comments and I hope you enjoy it!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The picture of your cat brought me here. It's adorable. This book sounds great. I do like medical dramas and I'm glad it's a murder mystery. Great review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 00:59 The picture of your cat brought me here. It's adorable. This book sounds great. I do like medical dramas and I'm glad it's a murder mystery. Great review!
Thanks for dropping me a line and admiring my cat! She is a bit of a 'scaredy cat', but I caught her in a good moment. :wink:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”