Review by Shrabastee -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman’s Light by Laurel Anne Hill is a coming-of-age novel with fantasy elements. Juanita, the mystic traveler accompanying the people of Promise, is the medium of communication with the spirit world. Billy, the spirit captain of an airship, commands her to sabotage the train that regularly delivers all the old, invalid people and unwanted children of Mexico to an asylum. Juanita begins her journey guided by the spirits of her ancestors. Will she be able to fulfill her quest, even at the cost of great personal loss?

The unique feature of the novel is that it expresses every incident in Juanita’s life with a dreamy and magical flavor. The spirits are given their individual colors and aroma, as befits their personality. The author personifies a dark and mysterious cave, a carefree and spontaneous stream, and an all-consuming sandstorm. Also, the story features an independent young girl and shows her mature into an equally strong-willed woman. Although I must mention that I could do with fewer mentions of Juanita’s bust size.

However, there were many aspects of the book that I did not like. First of all, the pace of the book was too slow and uneven. In spite of the compact beginning and end, the storyline slacked in the middle. Considering the constant reminders of her quest and the time lapses between the subsequent parts of the book, I could not figure out why Juanita spent so much time idly instead of taking immediate actions.

Secondly, the clipped and disjointed sentences made it hard to follow Juanita’s train of thought. The over-elaborate descriptions that suited the more abstract narrations of the book did not deliver any sense of urgency to the action scenes. As a result, I often missed important incidents. For example, I failed to realize that the first train wreck had already happened until the author spelled it out.

Also, the plot seems half-cooked due to the lack of an authentic background. Is delivering the old, disabled and unwanted people of Mexico equivalent to some sort of genetic cleansing? If so, who was responsible for it and what kind of tortures or experiments were awaiting them in the asylum? I expected more details but was disappointed. I even failed to figure out who the bad guys were in Juanita’s convoluted story.

Even considering that this is in part a fantasy story, one expects certain logic linking an action to the subsequent ones. Lacking that, I had to watch the story unfold without any prior indication of what is going to happen, or why it is happening at all. Also, the characters’ reliance on the spirits was frustrating. I understand why Juanita might need assistance while commandeering a rail engine, but asking a spirit to possess her to help her scramble eggs proved too much for me.

Considering all the above-mentioned points, I rate The Engine Woman’s Light 2 out of 4 stars. I noticed no major grammatical or editing issues, so the book seems to be professionally edited. This book will appeal to those who love a leisurely read from a fantasy book with ghosts and spirits. Those who look for action-packed adventures will be disappointed. Also, in addition to one rape scene, several sex scenes are hinted at, making it unsuitable for younger readers.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Nice review! It's unfortunate that the book didn't stand up to your expectations.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for the review. I've noticed that some fantasy novels end up in a series of books. The pace is very slow as everything is described in the greatest of detail. I do love my series and my fantasy. This will be a maybe for me.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Informative, great review! Shame about the plot as I do like books of this nature with mediums and/or spirits. I personally like well-developed plots, fast-paced, and not a lag somewhere so I think I will skip this one.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

fernsmom wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 05:36 Informative, great review! Shame about the plot as I do like books of this nature with mediums and/or spirits. I personally like well-developed plots, fast-paced, and not a lag somewhere so I think I will skip this one.
Honestly, I also like this kind of stories and had great expectations from this one. Unfortunately, the pace did not suit me either. Thanks for commenting!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 04:16 Thank you for the review. I've noticed that some fantasy novels end up in a series of books. The pace is very slow as everything is described in the greatest of detail. I do love my series and my fantasy. This will be a maybe for me.
Even if this one extends into a series, I am not sure I will be reading the next books. The pace was too slow for my choice and I spent forever reading this. Thanks for commenting, Ronel!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 02:58 Nice review! It's unfortunate that the book didn't stand up to your expectations.
Yes, I spent forever reading this one. In fact, I actually left it for a while then picked it up later. Slow but steady works for me, but this one was too slow! Half of the time I felt like I missed some vital information, because I had no idea what was going on suddenly and why!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Very neat and detial review. You have esplained the plot of the storyline beautifully. I loved reading your review. It creats an intrest within me to read the book. Thanks for the review.
---
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Bavithra M wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 22:44 Very neat and detial review. You have esplained the plot of the storyline beautifully. I loved reading your review. It creats an intrest within me to read the book. Thanks for the review.
Thanks Bavithra for your comment!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I've read this, and I think you do an excellent job of highlighting the problem areas. I also got a bit weary of the boobs and did not really know what had happened when the first train crash occurred. Thank you for an excellent review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 13:56 I've read this, and I think you do an excellent job of highlighting the problem areas. I also got a bit weary of the boobs and did not really know what had happened when the first train crash occurred. Thank you for an excellent review.
Thanks for commenting! Good to know someone else shares my views!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Also, the plot seems half-cooked due to the lack of an authentic background. Is delivering the old, disabled and unwanted people of Mexico equivalent to some sort of genetic cleansing? If so, who was responsible for it and what kind of tortures or experiments were awaiting them in the asylum? I expected more details but was disappointed. I even failed to figure out who the bad guys were in Juanita’s convoluted story.
I'm from Mexico and I have no clue what the author meant with this! As far as I know, there's never been a time period where genetic cleansing or any form of eugenics were performed, so perhaps the author should have given some background to this part of the plot.
I understand why Juanita might need assistance while commandeering a rail engine, but asking a spirit to possess her to help her scramble eggs proved too much for me.
I understand spirits are part of our culture and we have a peculiar relationship with death but this is just ridiculous and it made me laugh.

I think this could have been a great book. The idea seems original and the character has very interesting traits but the flaws you mention are also very valid and could spoil the whole experience.
Thank you for a very analytical review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The wide range of opinions for this piece may have initially discouraged me from checking this out, but it's a surprise that it didn't totally. Although it's not a book I'm after, my curiosity is somewhat piqued. Thank you for your honest and insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”