Review by Kremena Boyanova -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kremena Boyanova
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kremena-boyanova.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Kremena Boyanova -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Kremena Boyanova » 28 Oct 2018, 15:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Cole is a novel about the greatest feeling of all, the one we call "love" and the many aspects of it's manifestations. It's a story about the importance of the choices that we all have to make in life and about the different destinies that these choices determine for us.

The Spirit of Want introduces the reader into the world of two sisters- Elizabeth and Lucy. Lucy is adopted, something that doesn't give her peace at all. The two ladies grew up in the same family, under the same circumstances, but the decisions that they will make in life are completely different. Their opposite attitudes towards the most important things in life like family, children, love, career, will take them to opposite life-endings. The book shows how diverse is the value that people put on the same things.

I think this book is a wonderful read. Interesting plot, complex characters, very discussed themes, deep understanding of the human nature, unexpected turnovers- all these will make your reading unforgettable and very fast pasted.

The author masterfully examines love. This is one of my favorite subjects, so explored and yet, every time with new nuances in the way it is revealed. William H. Cole has the talent to present this feeling in so many aspects- as love towards family, friends, children, opposite sex, fame, money, career. The writer demonstrates how we all like to receive love, but not all of us like to give love; how love can be self-giving, but also can be self-centering.

With enviable skills, William H. Cole weaves into the plot of family relationships other important issues, like religion and the purity of the religion servants; the medicine and the functioning of the whole medical system; the low and the objectivity of the professionals that put it in practice. I believe, all these are intriguing issues for many of us.

My favorite part of the book are the characters. I love the way William H. Cole puts in parallel the two main characters Lucy and Elizabeth. This way we can appreciate more clearly the strong side of the one and the weak side of the other, the different perspective through which each one of them sees the world. Let's mention only wanting a child- one of the protagonists desires with all her self to have children and consciously or unconsciously most of her decisions depend on this. The other, sees a child as an obstacle, something unnecessary, at least in the beginning. Thanks to these two characters, the author shows that although some people might seem to be more privileged in life then others, it depends on our decisions how everything will turn out to be and what we will get at the end.

The Spirit of Want gives us a lot to think about and a lot to investigate inside us and our feelings. It makes us meditate on our relationships with family members, spouses, friends, lovers, kids. Isn't this the purpose of a good book?!

I have nothing to say about the writing style , except that it is easy to take and smooth- going, which makes the reading even more enjoyable.

As its obvious of all I've written, I completely and totally love the book and will recommend it to everyone that loves novels with deep meaning. On my opinion The Spirit of Want absolutely deserves all 4 rating stars, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Thank you, William H.Cole for the wonderful book. I hope everyone will enjoy it as I did!

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kremena Boyanova's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”