Review by edith38 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
edith38
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by edith38 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by edith38 » 28 Oct 2018, 06:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a story about a person who has everything the most of us dream of. A lot of money, brains and a skill to work hard. Hiram McDowell is a top surgeon. He’s driven, ambitious and reaches the top of his profession just to lose it all. The book deals with a question, what can become of a person after the success is gone and the ego stripped away? Is the redemption possible?

The story is told in two parts, first follows Hiram McDowell through his success and eventual downfall, through the eyes of himself, his family and colleagues. He is established as an unpleasant person who one could not possibly like. The second part follows Hiram’s journey across the USA mostly through the eyes of a people he meets. It’s a story about a man finding himself after he has lost everything, his journey and a search for a meaning in life. The parallel story is given through the eyes of his daughter, Sophie, and a journalist determined to write Hiram’s biography and show him for what he is. 

What I liked about the books was the contrast between the first and the second part of the book. In the first part, we see a selfish person. Hiram is arrogant and selfish despite being a philanthropist, inconsiderate despite having a large family and he will cast aside or step over anybody who doesn’t fill his needs. During the first part of the story, it’s easy to decide that Hiram is a psychopath without redeeming qualities and wish for his pre-told destruction. 

In the second part, he has to face his downfall. It is easy to appear a good person when you have everything but what to do when you have to start all over? The bookshop owner, the protagonist meets along the way tells “It’s no good if people seek success and money only for their own satisfaction and self-worth. People content in themselves learn to give selflessly, without concern for personal gain, to learn the joy of being human.” The story is laced with a casual philosophy and different characters Hiram meets along the way are three-dimensional and each unique in their own way. 

The side of the book I found unsatisfactory was the rushed ending. While most of the conflicts were wrapped up some solutions for the side characters didn’t grow naturally from the story but felt artificial. Also, there are some typos in the text. In a few places, your and you’re are mixed up while some words are missing or replaced by the wrong word. 

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to occasional typos and a rushed ending. With an additional round of proofreading, this book would deserve a full score and would be a good read for a person who enjoys a thought-provoking fiction. The author has done a good job at presenting a personal-growth and redemption story without becoming judgemental or preaching. However, despite the implied mountaineering background of the main character, the story would probably be too slow paced for a reader looking for an excitement and thriller. 

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like edith38's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Cotwani » 01 Nov 2018, 02:03

I also found the end rushed. You have nicely summed up the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Book Lover 35
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 » 21 Nov 2018, 16:52

I like your review of the book. I've read it also. I thought the ending was rushed also. I also didn't like that we never knew how McDowell escaped out of prison. Other than that, I thought the book was good. Thank you for your review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”