Review by Supergirl1 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Review by Supergirl1 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kfwilson6 »

I have read quite a few reviews of this book and not one of them made me even the slightest bit interested in reading it. However, your review is incredibly well written. You took a story and an awful character that sounded really dull to me and turned it around. Excellent review. The variations in my response to the reviews I've read really show how important our reviews can be to the author.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Drama, suspense and so much more. I am definitely reading this book. Great review also, very inspiring
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I am currently reviewing this book right now, and so far I have immensely enjoyed it. It has taken me a little longer to review then I thought, due to work and school, but as you stated I think all the characters are well developed, especially that of Hiram. Thanks for the review.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I have tried to get the time to read this book several times and something or someone always interrupts me. Well I am standing firm I promised the author my opinion of his character and I am going to keep my word. I am still intrigued as to whether or not McDowell can be redeemed because for the sample I read I am not readily convinced. I also am appalled at the Napalese tradition but am encouraged that it has been banned but I am sure it is still practiced in strickter older families.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Suspense certainly wasn't the first thought that came to my mind with this book. Hiram is a protagonist that can probably remind us all of someone we know, but I like my protagonists a bit more hero-like. In any case regret, guilt, and a life-like depiction of human growth and emotions sounds like an engaging read. Great review!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This is a very good review. Yes, McDowell is very ruthless and does not care who or what he has to do to make it to the top. this was a very good but and great for the BOTM as well as BOTD.
Chelsea N. Hackett
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

McDowell is an extremely intriguing novel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this suspense thriller. I too reviewed and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The book has a plot that includes romance, hate, crime, and mystery. I recommend this to all who like to read a story with all the characteristics mentioned above.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What a well-written review! Thank you! Today's BOTD sounds like one with outstanding character development - a big plus! Following the theme of redemption, this thought-provoking read is sure to keep you turning pages late into the night. I think the ideas and life lessons presented here have the potential to start some great discussions. I'm looking forward to reading this one - thank you, again!
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I reviewed this book and you've done a good job of analysing it, although I do not agree with your rating.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

Great review! I really enjoyed how you described the main character and the story. You didn’t give anything away and it didn’t feel at all like a cookie cutter review. I am very intrigued by this book now. Thank you!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

This book has the story of McDowell who is a ruthless character according to your review. This is also about the life of a surgeon Hiram McDowell who gives importance to his profession more than his personal life.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Although this book seems to be well-written and would likely be engaging for certain readers, I don’t think it’s for me. I am intrigued by the mention of Nepalese culture, but that in itself isn’t enough to really draw my interest.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Volunteer Review: McDowell by William H. Coles' is light and easy to grasp. A reader tired of monotony in life will love the book! Nice that the ending of the book is appreciated!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Hiram seems to be a real person. How a person is seen within the family environment is sometimes quite different from an outsider's perspective, just like Hiram. I like the inclusion of the Nepalese culture, although I'm not so sure I'd read this book because it finishes on a sad note.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I enjoyed Mr Cole's writings so much. McDowell is one of them. Hiram who was once the self-centred person and arrogant, turned to be selfless and emphatic when he is in hardship of life. This had been a good read to me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”