Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Days of the Giants

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Days of the Giants

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boston mayor Peter Doyle pushes a multimillion-dollar rebuilding plan through City Council for Boston City Hospital - a public hospital. On the other hand, the government rejects the Academy Hospital’s renovation plan citing over-bedding as the reason. This raises the hackles of Melvin Garrott, Academy Hospital’s director. He colludes with corrupt city officials to turn Doyle’s plan into a profitable scheme that endangers the existence of BCH. Slater Barnes, a young doctor, is diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, yet he accepts his residency at BCH, one of the country’s most demanding teaching institutions. Meanwhile, a resident medical officer is brutally beaten to death near BCH. Was this a planned murder or a mugging gone wrong? Will this incident affect Barnes?

Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella documents the fictional journey of Slater Barnes, a young doctor, who is willing to risk his life for his beliefs in the field of medicine. The shoddy book cover presents a snapshot of a worn-out brick wall with the symbol of Caduceus superimposed on it. But don’t judge the book by its cover. Set in the politically turbulent world of Boston medicine in the early 1990s, this page-turner consists of 394 pages and is divided into six parts. Since the author himself is a physician and trained at BCH, he draws upon his experiences to lend an authenticity to this book.

Petrella delivers an action-packed and a thought-provoking thriller. It alternates between two point of views - an informal and conversational first-person frame of reference for Slater that gives us a peek into the feelings of this otherwise reticent person. The second perspective - formal in nature - is that of Slater’s deceased father, which helps readers witness the events unknown to Slater. This being the author’s debut novel, I did not get the finesse of literature, but his breezy writing style enthralled me. I could visualize everything - the frenetic pace of the activity on the hospital floors, the hospital surroundings, all the medical paraphernalia, the dilapidated Boston City Hospital structure, and the posh Academy Hospital building and its swanky interiors. Additionally, Petrella created strong and believable characters – they grow organically throughout the course of the story, which is unusual for the mystery/thriller genre.

Apart from Slater, I also liked Don Lindy, an amusing character whom Slater regarded as a brother. I also liked the character of Sofia, a no-nonsense girl who steadfastly supported Slater through all his trials. Due to Petrella’s descriptive writing, I was able to conjure up images of all the doctors, residents, nurses, and patients that Slater meets. Although a few action scenes at the end could have been better described, it does not affect the overall quality of the book.

The awe-inspiring, brilliant doctors at the BCH who go beyond the call of their duty to care for their patients, irrespective of their social status, are the Giants that the title of this book refers to. The only complaint that I had with this book was that there were too many hospital scenes/patient cases which made the story long-winded, especially in the middle. But the pace picked up after Slater decided to stop moping around and took the bull by its horns. As the pieces of the puzzle started coming together, an explosive climax bedazzled me.

Considering the above points, I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited as I could find only two minor errors. The medical setting adds another dimension to this action-packed story and does not come in the way of enjoying it. Hence, anyone who is a sucker for thriller and mystery novels can pick up this book, however, the presence of cuss words and murder scenes makes it unsuitable for young readers.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Debjani Ghosh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The awe-inspiring, brilliant doctors at the BCH who go beyond the call of their duty to care for their patients, irrespective of their social status, are the Giants that the title of this book refers to.
I like these. Some doctors are quite selfless! I have so enjoyed reading your review. I will surely pick up this book.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Cotwani wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 10:30
The awe-inspiring, brilliant doctors at the BCH who go beyond the call of their duty to care for their patients, irrespective of their social status, are the Giants that the title of this book refers to.
I like these. Some doctors are quite selfless! I have so enjoyed reading your review. I will surely pick up this book.
You will not regret reading this. Thanks for your comment!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! Definitely sounds like a thriller, although the long-winded middle section might make it a bit difficult for me to get through.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 10:34
Fully agreed, Debjani. I certainly didn't regret it, an excellent book.

An excellent review here from you as well.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I like doctor stories told by doctors. I have doctors in my list of favorite authors (Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, William Coles, to name some). Like in all professions, there are good and bad eggs among the healers. I am fully on Slater's side!

You mentioned that the author trained at BCH. Is this perhaps a true story?
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 16:12 Awesome review! Definitely sounds like a thriller, although the long-winded middle section might make it a bit difficult for me to get through.
If you can endure through the middle, then it's a great book. Thanks for your appreciation and comment.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Doug Jones wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 16:41
Debjani Ghosh wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 10:34
Fully agreed, Debjani. I certainly didn't regret it, an excellent book.

An excellent review here from you as well.
Thanks for dropping by! :)
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Miriam Molina wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:51 I like doctor stories told by doctors. I have doctors in my list of favorite authors (Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, William Coles, to name some). Like in all professions, there are good and bad eggs among the healers. I am fully on Slater's side!

You mentioned that the author trained at BCH. Is this perhaps a true story?
Well, the author maintains that it's a fictional account but it certainly felt true to me. Thanks for commenting Miriam.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I LOVE a story with a brilliant climax! And I love doctor stories... You have me sold :)
This is a great review! Thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 15:36 I LOVE a story with a brilliant climax! And I love doctor stories... You have me sold :)
This is a great review! Thanks :)
Thanks for commenting!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm glad that the fairly unappealing book cover doesn't reflect the story's plot. Also, it's great that you found this to be action-packed and thought-provoking! Not sure if it's for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

hsimone wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 08:07 I'm glad that the fairly unappealing book cover doesn't reflect the story's plot. Also, it's great that you found this to be action-packed and thought-provoking! Not sure if it's for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Thank you for sharing!
You are welcome!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It's neat that the author is a physician and is familiar with that hospital. I like that the characters are enjoyable. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 20:48 It's neat that the author is a physician and is familiar with that hospital. I like that the characters are enjoyable. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for commenting! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”