Review by DorcasToo -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell is a career man, a family man, a sportsman, and a philanthropist at heart. He's remarried with three kids, who are now adults, from a previous marriage. He's a stepfather to Tasha and Candice. Anna his firstborn is married and has two kids: Jeremy and Penny. The second born Sophie is a photographer, an artist, and travels quite a lot. Billy the only son is the last born and fathers a baby with Tasha. To many, this family is dysfunctional especially after his grandson goes on a killing spree where he kills 12 kids including his sister and injures his mother. He also shoots himself, and Hiram is convicted for aiding in his death, which is termed as a murder.

Careerwise, Hiram is flying high with all the accolades in his field being given to him. He's a renowned surgeon and has set his sight higher. He sits on the board of directors of the International College of Surgeons and he goes for the post of president. With several promises to a colleague, Michael, he manages to bag the position, but, he betrays him and this makes Michael seek revenge. When he's appointed by the President as Secretary of Health and Human Services, it marks the beginning of his downfall.

William H. Cole has once more written an epic book. I have read several of his books, and I have always enjoyed as I kept turning the pages. The storyline is captivating if you enjoy reading medical genres. This book is about the struggles of a surgeon as he balances between his family, career and being a good citizen. A book on redemption, coming back to say and finding redemption. The author manages to bring out both a dark and the light side of McDowell, as, he balances both sides.

McDowell has an epic writing style considering this is a fictional book; but, has to have some facts in it because of its background in medicine. There are no medical jargons used as there is no use of heavy vocabulary that will keep the reader using a dictionary. Also, there were very few errors in the book, making the story smooth. The one moral lesson from the book is that don't judge a book by its cover. Everyone is set to make Hiram as the villain at the beginning, but, as we reach the end the perspective is a different one.

Therefore, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I found the book written well and edited professionally. I would recommend it all lovers of Medical Thrillers. I didn't find anything incriminating enough to reduce the rating.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an enthralling review. I enjoyed reading the book. It is indeed easy to see Hiram as the villain at the beginning. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”