Review by jjmainor -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Review by jjmainor -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by jjmainor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman picks up where the first book left off. Alex Fine must escape the armed men storming his tropical island home, but that is only the beginning of his troubles. Not only is he in the crosshairs of a Russian oligarch, but the Russian President and the CIA both want Alex in order to exploit his abilities. The young man fakes his death and successfully hides out for more than a decade. In that decade, his foolish mistakes continue to pile up. He buys a wife from a Vegas pimp, and spirals into a coke-infused addiction that nearly destroys him. Only when the couple expects a new baby does Alex vow to clean up his life. If only it were that easy.

Like Superhighway, Superhighway 2 opens at a point later in the book, with the narrator going back and telling the story up to that point. It was a little funny (“ha-ha” funny, that is) to me that he didn’t open on the big cliffhanger capping off the first book. It should be no surprise that the character would get out of that situation. After all, there is an entire book to follow! I found it interesting how the author set up a hook even stranger than the scenario we expected him to lead with. The one disappointment I had with this book, however, was that the story didn’t come back to that opening scenario as seamlessly as the first book did. When the narrative caught back up to the narrator’s present, I didn’t realize it until I was well into the scene, and I didn’t feel like it unfolded as I thought it should have based on the opening.

Another negative draw many others have with the series is with the bad decisions Alex Fine makes throughout. To me, that was what made this character interesting. If you are looking for a pure hero, this story is not for you. This series is the story of someone who can’t handle the responsibility his superpower brings. This series is the story of one whose powers destroy him. At every stage, this series (especially this book) is a tragic tale. Though Alex tries to do good with his ability, he lacks the life experience to guide his choices. He lacks that one person in his life to guide his conscience. Ms. Jenkins was that person in some respect, but he pushed her out of his life early on as part of that growing-up-and-leaving-the-nest phase.

This sequel holds onto the descriptions of Alex’s flashy lifestyle along with the central theme of women and excess which defined the first book. Unlike its predecessor, Superhighway 2 manages not to get bogged down in the lengthy descriptions of meals and exotic locales. Fayman finds a balance between his character’s personal story and the action I come to expect in science fiction. In every way, this was the book I wanted to read when I picked up the first in the series. If you read the first Superhighway, enjoyed the premise, but hated the execution, then, like me, you will enjoy Suprehighway 2.

In some ways, Superhighway 2 is a superior story to the first Superhighway. It receives a solid 3 out of 4 stars from me. Unfortunately, the editing falls apart late in the book, as if the beginning received more attention than the end. I’m generally not bothered by a few oversights if they don’t ruin the flow of the story, or otherwise make it a chore to read, but there are many out there for whom the editing will be a deal-breaker. That alone is why I cannot give it 4 stars. Still, if the first book interested you in any way, I would strongly recommend putting this book on your to-read list.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jjmainor's review? Post a comment saying so!
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Thank you for the well written review. I read and reviewed this one as well, and I agree with most of what you've pointed out here. I go back and forth so much between liking and hating Alex. The plot is decent, although I wish there was a little less drug and alcohol abuse, but the editing is still an issue (as it was for the first book). Overall though, I still think most science fiction lovers will enjoy this book.
jjmainor

Post by jjmainor »

Yeah, I was surprised by this one. The first book was a disappointment, and I almost didn't want to read this one, but something made me choose it...and I was glad I did.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This book sounds like it can be read as a stand-alone. I avoided the prequel because the many negative issues mentioned by reviewers. Nice to hear there is some improvement. Thanks for the balanced review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
jjmainor

Post by jjmainor »

I'm not sure if you can read it without reading the first one. In some respects, there is an independent story, but there are a lot of details that require knowledge of the first book. There was at least point in the book where the author referenced something and I didn't know what he was referencing because I honestly forgot the particular point from the first book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”