Review by jmima -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jmima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmima.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by jmima -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jmima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being book two in the Bad Boy Vibes series, this book reunites us with Anna Walter-Simmons and Rafael Brown, our main characters, as they set out to deal with love, loyalty and betrayal. It takes us through the evolving lives and loves of Anna, Rafe and those around them. In addition to the themes of love, sex and friendship, this book introduces a new theme of sexual consent and preferences. Within these pages, it is often highlighted that not everything is at it seems in love and war. The author introduces a couple of new characters towards the end of the book and this leaves us wanting to delve into book three immediately, if not sooner!

My favorite character is (still) Rafael Brown. This has a lot to do with the fact that he embodies all the themes the author wants to put across by showing equal parts strength and vulnerability. In addition to this, he also delivers many of the scintillating sex scenes in the book. The author’s portrayal of Rafe through Anna’s eyes makes us love (and sometimes hate) him just as she does, while inevitably comparing him to all the other males in the book.

My least favorite character is Eric Dayton. He is the classic villain in our story and one’s blood can’t help but boil every time we encounter him. Unfortunately, we only get his back story in relation to Rafe’s past so I hope this is something the author develops some more in the third book.

A large portion of the book addresses the troubled lives of the characters and how they navigate through these to come out better. This touches on different sexual proclivities, scars from the past and hopes for the future. Sex is a big part of the book as many of our characters’ demons are evolving from or devolving into issues of a sexual nature. Also, it makes for some pretty steamy chapters! The author manages to deliver a few good shockers which keep the story exciting and unpredictable, just when we think we have it all figured out.

Heartaches 2 is a great sequel to the first book and does a good job of preparing us for the third book. The suspense and unexpected revelations keep the reader on their toes. I recommend this book to anyone who loves romance and sexual themes, as well as a little suspense. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story is steamy and sexy while still delivering an interesting story line.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jmima's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”