Review by fernsmom -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by fernsmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Smith" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Smith, by Sam B Miller II, the action starts on page 1 with 18 year old Jake Goddard getting hit by a thrown rock. It is explained that it is dangerous for him to be in Israel due to his American heritage and his young age. Jacob’s dad, Rob Goddard, is an archaeologist with The Harvard Department of Archaeological Projects and is currently working on a claimed discovery of King Solomon’s Temple in Israel.

Jake and his friend Avner follow a hand-written map of the dig area and find a ring. Jake learns that the ring is actually "Solomon’s Ring of Power". Legend goes that it was made by Angels or Aliens. Since Jake is the wearer of the ring he finds himself with the powers of this legend. The ring has four powers over: wind, birds and beasts, earth and water, and demons.

Jake hears a voice shortly after he puts the ring on his finger. The voice states his name is Smannanelcannic and he is the essence which is embedded in the ring. Jake has trouble pronouncing this name, so the essence in the ring said for Jake to call it Smith. Smith explains that it has been dormant for 2948 years with no human interaction.

In addition to danger from just being an 18 year old in Israel, there are people after Jake that want the ring. When Jake uses Smith’s talents in numerous fights, it allows him to have almost super-human strength. Although it is Smith’s job to protect the wearer of the ring, if someone annoys Smith his first reaction is to just kill the person. Jake arguing with Smith when these occurrences happened were funny interactions in the book.

There were many reasons that I enjoyed this book. The book was an enjoyable read because the plot was so original. I’ve never read anything even remotely similar to this book. But the humor that is portrayed between Jake and Smith were my favorite parts of the book by far. Just imagine a person from over 2948 years ago speaking to a teenager of today, and the mix-ups with the slang, or understanding concepts like eBay. The author's imagination with these conversations between Smith and Jake were so funny because of this extremely large generation gap. I also enjoyed when Jake spoke out loud to Smith, which at times led to misunderstandings and hurt feelings when others mistakenly thought Jake was talking to them or with others thinking he is crazy.

If a reader enjoys science fiction and fantasy genres I strongly recommend reading the book. The book was professionally edited with no distracting errors to make it a difficult read. I can’t guarantee it of course, but I honestly feel that even if a reader doesn’t normally enjoy books in the science fiction or fantasy genres, that they still may enjoy this book. If a reader likes to read steamy sex scenes, they will be disappointed because although there is a growing love interest, this book is appropriate for all ages.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the fact that Smith didn’t say exactly what he is other than the essence in the ring. Like I mentioned previously, there were legends stating that the ring had power from an angel or an alien, but I would have personally liked this subject explained in a little more detail.

It was an easy decision for me to give Smith a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Since I enjoyed the book so much from page 1, I could not rate it 3 stars. The character development, the plot, and the twist and turns kept me eagerly waiting what would happen next. I look forward to reading other books from this author in the future.

Smith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The book sounds enjoyable. I bet there are some funny parts in it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, the plot as you say is truly original! You have literally sold this one to me. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Thank you Cotwani! I wish I knew how to tag people on this as I would like to thank people that take the time out of there busy day to comment. (I'm a new reviewer). I can honestly say that this is one of my favorites so far that I've read on Online Book Club. Just the banter back and forth was amusing, hopefully you think so too if you read it. Thank you for the kind remark as well that I sold it to you.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Thank you Book Lover 35, I wish I knew how to tag people on this as I would like to thank people that take the time out of there busy day to comment. (I'm a new reviewer). Hopefully if you read it you enjoy it as well!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

fernsmom wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 20:31 Thank you Cotwani! I wish I knew how to tag people on this as I would like to thank people that take the time out of there busy day to comment. (I'm a new reviewer). I can honestly say that this is one of my favorites so far that I've read on Online Book Club. Just the banter back and forth was amusing, hopefully you think so too if you read it. Thank you for the kind remark as well that I sold it to you.
Welcome fernsmom,
I don't know of a way to tag people here but you can share the link of your review on your social media accounts. You can also join this fb group - our group of onlinebookclub FB friends.
And by the way, if you wish to respond to a specific comment, you can use the " marks tab at the top right corner of the comments.
Cheers!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A novel plot resulting in an enjoyable fantasy fiction - this sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the insightful review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This book is going straight onto my "to be read" shelf! It sounds like a combination of fantasy and humor (my favorite combination btw) and very possibly a "can't put downer"! Your review is fantastic and very well written. Thanks so much, I never would have found this one with you!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Debjani Ghosh, Thank you for the compliment." Really nice of you to take the time to comment as well.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Kelyn, Thank you so much for the compliment! I really appreciate it, and the time you took to read it and comment as well. I just love the book, seems to be easier when you love it as you can think of so much to say! Thanks again!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This seems like a very interesting book. Your review highlights the mystery and the humor in the story. I want to read this book. Great job!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Nice review! I think this sounds like a really fun book and I'm going to put it back in my TBR shelf. To answer posts, just hit the quotation marks on the upper right side of the post, and scroll down to where it says quote at the end in the editor.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

kdstrack wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:55 This seems like a very interesting book. Your review highlights the mystery and the humor in the story. I want to read this book. Great job!
Thank you so much for the compliment and taking the time to read, and comment on my review. I love the book and it is much easier for me to write if it is something I enjoyed reading. Thanks again! :D
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

fernsmom wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 12:17 Just imagine a person from over 2948 years ago speaking to a teenager of today, and the mix-ups with the slang, or understanding concepts like eBay.
This is hilarious. I read a sample of this book a while back but didn't feel too attached to it. Your review made the story jump off the page and onto my 'to read' list.
This is a wonderful review! Thanks so much :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Thank you for your compliment! It was easier for me to do certain reviews than others. I'm glad you came away from it thinking it was funny, as it was hard for me to explain but it really was hilarious!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”