Review by HailKingEbi -- Pastoring is not what you think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by HailKingEbi -- Pastoring is not what you think

Post by HailKingEbi » 21 Oct 2018, 09:50

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is not what you think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are pastors just like everyone else? How does it feel having a whole congregation depending on you for spiritual and moral guidance?. Pastors are the mouthpieces of God here on Earth. Many people have the misconception that offerings, tithe given in church for the furtherance of God's work goes into the pastor's pocket. Pastoring is Not What You Think is set to debunk that misconception.

Elijah Oladimeji is a United States based pastor and founder of Mind of Christ Evangelical Church. He is the author of Pastoring is Not What You Think. Pastoring is Not What You Think is a religion themed book that discusses a variety of topics including but not limited to gun violence, marriage, faith, death and even mental health.

Pastor Job is the protagonist, a typical spiritual leader. He's the pastor of the Church of All Grace church. Pastoring is Not What You Think is told in first person by Pastor Job. It chronicles Job's experiences as a pastor in today's society. It is an exposition of what pastors go through, people's dependence on them and the effects thereof. Job plays his role as a dutiful husband and spiritual leader of the church, but challenges arise that require divine intervention. Pastor Job has unwavering faith in God. Through the darkest of times and the bleakest situations, his faith stays strong. He's a model for every Christian.

As a Christian, it was very easy to get involved in the sermons by Pastor Job. While reading the book, it is as though one is attending a church service in one's mind. The images are easily conjured by the language of the author. He uses simple and concise language to tell the story, avoiding unnecessary verbosity. Also, I liked how each chapter had a different focus which allowed for the book to discuss diverse societal issues.

However the dialogue could be clearer. Some of the time, the dialogue becomes hard to follow. At some points, I didn't know which character was speaking and I would have to reread it for clarity.

With just 12 chapters and 91 pages, Pastoring is Not What You Think is perfect for readers who prefer short stories. I rate Pastoring is Not What You Think a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. God is good, kind and merciful. This book does a good job of reminding us just that. From Pastoring is Not What You Think, I've learnt that God is not dead and He's still in the business of answering prayers and performing miracles. All we need is a little faith.

Pastoring is not what you think
View: on Bookshelves

Like HailKingEbi's review? Post a comment saying so!
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”