Review by mama_ash -- Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by mama_ash -- Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by mama_ash »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elastic Girl" by Olivia Rana.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana, I am happy to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story is about a young girl whose family is struggling financially until she joins the circus as a contortionist. The main character, Muthu, has always wanted to be a star and believes the circus will finally make her one. After some troubling time in the circus, Muthu and a friend decide to run away. After being on their own for some time, Muthu rejoins her family and learns more about herself which leads her to return to the circus as a new woman. The best audience for this book would be young adults looking for a quick read with a good storyline.

There were many aspects of this book that I enjoyed, but one of my favorite things was how descriptive the author was. I felt as though I knew who the characters were and could picture where they were because of the descriptive way that Rana writes. I truly enjoy when authors are able to portray their characters as real people who their readers can connect with.

Another reason I truly enjoyed this book was due to the storyline itself. I found myself captivated by the storyline from the first chapter and never felt bored while reading. Through out the book I felt so many emotions which captivated me and made me want to continue reading. When a story can make me feel different emotions like Elastic Girl did, I believe the author is a great and very experienced writer.

The only complaint I have about this book is what seemed to be a lack of editing. Although I wasn’t constantly finding errors in the writing, there were enough mistakes that I found myself distracted from the story when they did appear. One particular spelling error occurred several times, which tells me that there would have been far fewer errors if the author knew how to properly spell this word.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I truly enjoyed this book and would love to give it all 4 stars but cannot due to the grammatical errors I found. With more professional editing this book would be able to earn the fourth star. I believe readers will enjoy the storyline and watching this character find herself throughout her journey. I would definitely recommend this book to friends and family who are looking for a good read.

Elastic Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mama_ash's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”