Review by Cotwani -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The authorship of Oblivion Threshold had me running a scan of my memory. The result? Save for textbooks and children’s books, I can’t recall ever reading a novel written by two authors. To make it more intriguing, each of the authors boasts of a number of independently published works. Having my antennae thus heightened, I delved into the book to see whether J.R Mabry and B.J West would deliver!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to report that the two authors did not disappoint! Their science fiction/fantasy thriller is a well researched, very engaging masterpiece! Physics or galaxies, space entities or military operations, the duo cleverly introduce authentic concepts without leaving readers' eyes glazed over technical jargon!

In the prologue of this first book of the Oblivion saga, the reader encounters the Prox (an alien species) in action. They bizarrely attack a reconnaissance ship from earth’s colony, New Manila, in deep space. The plot then unfolds around Captains Jeff and Jo - colleagues and once-upon-a-time lovers. As a result of an earlier mission tragedy, Jeff suffers from PTSD which has made him abrasive and reclusive. Jo, on the other hand, is fun and ambitious. Jeff is soon assigned a solo mission to spy on the Prox on New Manila, which they utterly destroyed. He crashes on a moon whose inhabitant/s (the Ulim) put him back together, like Humpty Dumpty, and miraculously transport him back to earth!

Meanwhile, the Prox are speedily approaching earth from different directions destroying every colony and space station in their paths. Jeff discovers he has powers that can help win the coming war. The Ulim, however, forbid him to use these powers lest he ends all life. This is ironic, though, because if not stopped, the Prox will still end all life on earth! Get yourself a copy of Oblivion Threshold to find out how Jeff handles this catch 22 situation!

Oblivion Threshold is masterfully crafted, with moments of flowery imagery like:
A monad of thought wondering at the impossibility of such a thing flitted into his consciousness, then out again. Despite the cold, he began to sweat as his thoughts flailed, looking for an out.
The writing style is conversational and superbly engaging. The authors weave such a comfortable balance between description and ‘tech-speak’ that the reader is at home both in space and at strategy meetings! I must admit the book gave me the feeling of belonging to a NASA equivalent and loving every moment of it!

Writing in the third person, from predominantly Jeff’s and Jo’s perspectives, the authors present such convincing characters that the reader is quickly sucked into the inner lane of the narration. Admiral Paul Jennings is the typical military boss. The other characters are equally relatable. To crown this, there is marked character development. We see Jeff grow to embrace teamwork. Jo finally gets to lead a male-dominated mission to space and decisively stamps out insubordination.

Love and ‘polynity’(from the word trinity)are minor themes in the book. The main theme is space travel and war - or to be precise, the imminent apocalypse! But, herein lies my dissatisfaction with the book - it ends suddenly. It is as if the authors stumble upon an unforeseen roadblock, and slam, they wind up the book! I believe it’s their idea of a cliffhanger but considering that, right from the prologue, they had been prepping the reader for war with the invincible Prox, couldn’t they at least give him/her a moment to relish and linger in the epic war? I couldn't understand what their hurry was. The book is only twelve chapters long!

All the same, I was going to overlook the ill-timed cliffhanger, because I figured it was more my personal preference than the contravention of any rule. Unfortunately, I found more than ten minor errors in the book. These mostly had to do with missing words or spacing. My book version also didn’t have page numbers. I assume this was the making of the epub format that I used, seeing the book has a table of content with page numbers. I thus rate Threshold Oblivion 3 out of 4 stars.

I gladly recommend the book to older teens, young adults and lovers of the genre. The occasional use of cuss words like f*ck or you’re shitting me, makes me hesitate to recommend it to younger readers. This is a shame because this group would have loved the action. All the same, if you enjoyed Star Trek and Starship Troopers, you simply cannot pass up this adventure!

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I finished reading this book this morning - and thought your review covered it perfectly! I was also quite disappointed at the cliffhanger, but I suppose we better get going on book two!
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 03:45 I finished reading this book this morning - and thought your review covered it perfectly! I was also quite disappointed at the cliffhanger, but I suppose we better get going on book two!
Great review!
Disappointed is an understatement! I'm happy to hear you share the same views on the book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Cliffhanger ending turns me off, even if the plot is awesome. Fantasy thriller about space entities sparks my interest. I will read the entire story. Thanks for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Dolor wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 01:24 Cliffhanger ending turns me off, even if the plot is awesome. Fantasy thriller about space entities sparks my interest. I will read the entire story. Thanks for the great review.
The ending was a bit of a disappointment, but the plot is far from disappointing! I appreciate your stopping by and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Two bodies but one mind! Seems like the author has proven this point of view. I'm really not into space book, but watching films related to them is great. Do you think, this book has the potential to be a great movie? Thank you for you descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 00:42 Two bodies but one mind! Seems like the author has proven this point of view. I'm really not into space book, but watching films related to them is great. Do you think, this book has the potential to be a great movie? Thank you for you descriptive review!
Lol, great point of view. Yes, I believe the book can make a great movie, though I believe they would have to incorporate the sequel. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
-Walt Disney
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm not a fan of science fiction, but the plot seems interesting, and the fact that it's well researched is a bonus. Nice review
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I'm not a big fan of cliffhanger endings. However, they're a good way of making the reader want to read the next book! Thank you so much for your lovely review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Mely918 wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 18:29 I'm not a big fan of cliffhanger endings. However, they're a good way of making the reader want to read the next book! Thank you so much for your lovely review!
I agree - cliffhangers manipulate you into getting the next book, but still left me frustrated! However, the book is enjoyable. Thanks for reading and commenting.
-Walt Disney
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Your review is amazing; you expertly covered the book. Having read the book, I see some things I also enjoyed in the book.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Thank you for this extensive review @Cotwani! Another wonderfully written sci-fi/fantasy book, this time, by not just one author but two. Nevertheless, it seemed like they’ve shared one mind when they wrote it🤗wow! Congratulations! I’m sure readers of this genre would be rushing to get themselves a copy📚congrats to you too and best regards on your reviews♥️
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds too much of an epic story to be only twelve chapters. Too bad on the curse words also, because that is something I don't like either. Excellent review though. Thank you.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 03:55 Your review is amazing; you expertly covered the book. Having read the book, I see some things I also enjoyed in the book.
Thanks for reading and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Ma Cheryll wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 13:02 Thank you for this extensive review @Cotwani! Another wonderfully written sci-fi/fantasy book, this time, by not just one author but two. Nevertheless, it seemed like they’ve shared one mind when they wrote it🤗wow! Congratulations! I’m sure readers of this genre would be rushing to get themselves a copy📚congrats to you too and best regards on your reviews♥️
Thank you, thank you Ma Cheryl! The author's did an excellent job. I appreciate your stopping by!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”