Review by Hiawatha2004 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hiawatha2004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiawatha2004.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Hiawatha2004 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Hiawatha2004 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice by Morton E Tavel, MD is written by a retired physician specializing in internal medicine and cardiovascular disease. The book offers three sections to guide you through possible tips, myths, tricks, or pitfalls when making a medical decision.

The first part of the book gives Health tips. The topics range from weight loss, pain killers, benefits of cranberry juice, chiropractic care, and more. The chiropractic care tips were enlightening, and the information on weight loss was a nice reminder of healthy habits. The second part examines myths about gluten-free foods, bottled water, probiotics, GMO and organic foods, stretching before exercise, and using paper towels or blow drying your hands. The chapter on bottled water surprised me completely. The third and last section discusses the tricks advertisers and drug companies use to purchase their products. Dr. Tavel gives a cautious warning about advice from TV doctors.

I liked the layout of the book. The chapters gave sound advice and were interesting to read. A common theme was reiterated multiple times about proper eating habits and that exercise is good for the body. Some of the topics that resonated with me were: bottled water vs. tap water, weight loss, and the candid discussion about advice from TV doctors. Dr. Tavel was direct regarding drugs including the names to reference for medical questions. The pros and cons of the topics were easy to understand by people who are not in the medical profession.

The book often references research studies, I would have liked more information of the background on the research studies. Things that were not very clear were the company performing the research study, how long the study would last and the quantity of participants in the study. Research studies are constantly being performed so his data might quickly become obsolete.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice was very entertaining even though it refers to the medical field. I am interested in reading the author’s two other books: “Snake Oil is Alive and Well: The Clash between Myths and Reality” and “Hell in the Heavens: The Saga of a WW2 Bomber Pilot.” The sharing of the author’s knowledge is appreciated. It gives a solid base to look into areas of interest. I was pleased to read the tricks section and that I did not buy some of the products advertised that were just hype.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hiawatha2004's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm curious about the tips on bottled water and weight loss! You have summed up the book well. I hope to read it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Good review! I'm looking forward to reading about the medical myths and tricks discussed in this book. The regular health tips I'm familiar with already, although I don't always follow them.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”