Review by fredrick otieno -- Who Told You That You Were ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Review by fredrick otieno -- Who Told You That You Were ...

Post by fredrick otieno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William Combs, a retired Presbyterian minister, in his book ‘Who Told You That You Are Naked?’, has reexamined sin and how it has been overlooked. His main interest is on the restoration of the ‘salt’ that has lost its ‘saltiness’.

Definitely, this is not the first time I am having an encounter with this topic since I am a Christian. His ideas on restoration from sin indeed does accurately concur with biblical literature and teachings. But what makes his outstanding, unique and easily comprehensible is the use of vignettes and the employing of imagery to visualize his arguments. Especially in the story of creation. His approach is entirely refreshing. But I know some would disagree with him since it is more or less like an addition to the story of Adam and Eve which shouldn’t be the case, as per the Bible.

Upon reading this book, one is certain to have a refreshed perspective of sin. You will get to understand how we inherited sin from the first generation of mankind. Even though we can never claim to be free from sin, through faith we can find peace in Christ, therefore always redeemed from our sinful nature.

Typically the book has been properly arranged. The writer has taken into consideration the chronology of being of sin, as he starts way behind by describing and analyzing the origin of sin and how we can be saved from it. He then gives an analysis of being in faith and accepting Jesus Christ as our savior. Then the last sections of the book are all about, living in faith and peace in Christ. This has made the book easily comprehensible as the arguments unfold.

Discussing spiritual matters would need evidence. One strong evidence in support of his arguments is the Bible. He has not only quoted the scripture in support of his ideas, but he has also put emphasis; to be clear in order to prove his arguments. Moreover, he has also included personal testimonies, to show that faith truly works, for example; he narrates a moving story of Ralph, an elder in their church, who was healed through faith, after the doctors’ conclusion that he was suffering from kidney stone infections (page 86).

William combs’ approach has enhanced my understanding of sin and salvation. From this book, it is now clear to me that, not even one can claim to be clean and free from transgression, but we must find peace in Christ our Lord for redemption. We must also accept sin, which we inherited from the beginning of mankind, instead of living in denial.

The book has no grammatical error worth mentioning. As a reader, I think I had high expectations to find something more extraordinary but I didn’t. In the blurb, instead of William Combs, a different name has been used, that is Bob Combs, that is confusing but I think is the same person. All in all, the book was a good one and I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend the book to all Christians. It is a must read for those who are finding the concept of being born again nonsensical. The book can also be read by those Christians who are spiritually down, it would uplift and refresh them.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fredrick otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This was the first book I ever reviewed. I found it to have more depth of insight than I expected. I liked his narrative sections also.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great book for its target audience. Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems like a great book that explains the origin of sin and helps Christians in journey of salvation. Fascinating review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I enjoyed the vignettes that Combs presented and thought it gave new insight into the scriptures. His personal stories were also intresting. Thanks for your review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have been curious about this book since I joined OBC. I hope I get a chance to read it and be blessed by it.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Being a non-Christian, I don't think I will be able to relate to this book, but it seems to be providing a refreshing perspective on sin for the intended audience. Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm glad you found this to be a fresh perspective on sin and that you feel all Christians would enjoy this one. Too bad it wasn't what you thought it would be, but I'm glad that you were still about to enjoy the book. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

hsimone wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 08:03 I'm glad you found this to be a fresh perspective on sin and that you feel all Christians would enjoy this one. Too bad it wasn't what you thought it would be, but I'm glad that you were still about to enjoy the book. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems I will earn a lot of things such as the origin of sin and how to find peace. I think the testimonies provided in the story will also boost my spiritual journey. Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is interesting that the author writes about sin. So many people want to talk about a Savior without talking about sin. This author shows the relation between the two. I enjoyed reading your review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Great review. It is good to note that the author approaches the story of creation from a refreshing dimension. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The was my very first book reviewed. I was so surprised by it. I was nervous as a new writer, but it proved to be a great book to begin with. I loved the message of God’s grace. Glad to see the book is getting good readers such as yourself.
Everything happens for a reason...
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Yes, we need to find our peace through Jesus. Nice review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Upon reading this book, one is certain to have a refreshed perspective of sin. You will get to understand how we inherited sin from the first generation of mankind. Even though we can never claim to be free from sin, through faith we can find peace in Christ, therefore always redeemed from our sinful nature.
I'm highly satisfied with your opinion of having sin in the nature of human beings. Although we can try to inhibit ourselves from the sins but it is not possible to free ourselves from totally from the sins.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”