Review by Sahani Nimandra -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Jaguar" by Preben Orman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Buenos Dias!
Is the owner or the manager here now?
Si! The owner is inside.
Oi! We are closed, I'm busy, Please Leave! Comeback later. We open at seven.
Federal Police! Your attention, Señor Palacio. Now!

Ok! We have Señor Placio in our hands, so what now? Let's start working; I'm planning to drop the shoe: "People! We regret to tell you that Lalo is dead!"

Now, do you know the story of Icarus, the son of Daedalus, in greek mythology? The one who fashioned wings from feathers and wax, oh yes, that one! He who flew very close to the sun: melting the wax that dragged him to his deathbed. Oh yes, the very one!

Do remember him, will you? You'll be needing him.
Buenos Días Amigos!

Well, I certainly learned one thing from this read, "You have nothing to fear; if you have nothing to hide" (Joseph Gobbles). White Jaguar by Preben Ørmen is a crime detective thriller read which is the first book of An Inspector Marco Nayal Novel. It consists of 90 short-chapters, divided in this 382 pages book.

Preben Ørmen takes the reader to Latin America, exposing them into Spanish culture, language, food, and lifestyle. The author provides us a 'full-package' about Mexico, its famous places and cities: Yucatán coast, Chicxulub Puerto, etc. I'm not surprised by the author's accounts about these places since he lives in Yucatán coast, Mexico. Preben Ørmen uses common Spanish terms in his read, such as: que te vaya bien; mas o menos; Andele, andele.

This detective read was different compared to other reads of this genre. The start seems to cut straight to the point leaving little for the reader's imagination; this isn't exactly great since it reduces the suspense felt by the reader on a great scale. I felt the element of surprise missing in these pages. At times, I felt as if the author wasn't interested in his work. Preben Ørmen uses a 'magnifying' approach in his plot from the start, and he provides details about the case in a great length; this made the plot seem more like a textbook read.

There were certain fascinating moments, yet it failed to spark my interest. The introductory synopsis of this read draws any person in, but I never felt close to the book. The author uses a subplot to run through the main plot: I found this to be a fascinating approach. Surprisingly, I wanted to finish this read fast.

The title of this story White Jaguar is a strategy that Chuy uses in his thinking process; it's also related to an unexpected person:
Chuy's mind flashed on ghosts of crime scenes past. "Think like a jaguar, Chuy; hunt like a jaguar, Chuy; be the damn jaguar, Chuy."
The protagonists or 'men' of the White Jaguar is Marco and Chuy. Marco, a person whose disagreement with his family keeps himself occupied, is an officer in Chicxulub Puerto, and Chuy, a guy trying to figure out how to think out-of-the-box. The strong support provided by our sub characters enables the protagonists to perform well. The characters weren't too complex or difficult to understand.

The language used was casual and easy, and the tone was more like official, which I didn't admire. I felt the plot has a slow and steady approach: I believe the approach used doesn't suit this genre. Surprisingly, there weren't any errors, grammatically or typos; the author's work seems proofread and professionally edited. Preben Ørmen provides a supportive background information for the story. With the above considerations, I wish to rate White Jaguar 3 out of 4 stars. Honestly, it deserves 2.5 stars, since I can't rate 2.5 stars I decided to settle with 3 stars, because it's missing an important element that's necessary to fulfill this genre.
I was officially ready for a break just as soon as I had a quick moment to catch my breath and settle into my chair. I had been waiting for this and closed my eyes for a minute when the white jaguar pounced from the shadows waking me with a start to a dark room, heart racing. Struggling fuzzy headed out of my chair to turn on the light, I bumped the table, sending glass, bottle and porcelain flying to the floor, tequila smells wafting up.

Damn cat!
White Jaguar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's such a pity that the book can't draw the reader in, but it's great that it's professionally edited. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 05:18 It's such a pity that the book can't draw the reader in, but it's great that it's professionally edited. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This could be a good read with the way it gives the reader a "'full-package' about Mexico". It is really a pity that it did not have that spark.
Thank you for the great review.
Sahani Nimandra

Kajori50 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 06:14 This could be a good read with the way it gives the reader a "'full-package' about Mexico". It is really a pity that it did not have that spark.
Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for feeling that! :tiphat:
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I like Mexico, I hope to visit there one day. It's shame that a book with a lot of info about one of my favourite places wont make a great read. Bit thanks for the beautiful review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

It ruins a book for me when a lot of info is given in the beginning, but since it gives a lot of information about Mexico, I may give it a try. I like the title too. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Sahani Nimandra

Samisah wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 12:33 I like Mexico, I hope to visit there one day. It's shame that a book with a lot of info about one of my favourite places wont make a great read. Bit thanks for the beautiful review.
Thank you for commenting, sam! :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra

BookReader+6 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 14:07 It ruins a book for me when a lot of info is given in the beginning, but since it gives a lot of information about Mexico, I may give it a try. I like the title too. Thanks for your review!
I couldn't agree more on that. Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

White Jaguar is a crime thriller set in Latin America that exposes Spanish culture, language, food, lifestyle, and everything about Mexico. I'm sorry to hear that your interest was not sparked while reading this book. I will bypass reading this book. Thanks for the honest review.
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 01:16 White Jaguar is a crime thriller set in Latin America that exposes Spanish culture, language, food, lifestyle, and everything about Mexico. I'm sorry to hear that your interest was not sparked while reading this book. I will bypass reading this book. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's interesting how perspectives of the same book can be the exact opposite! That is the beauty of life! I too read the book, had the spark but amazingly was bogged down by the grammar -or lack thereof! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 23:30 It's interesting how perspectives of the same book can be the exact opposite! That is the beauty of life! I too read the book, had the spark but amazingly was bogged down by the grammar -or lack thereof! Great review!
It actually is! Isn't it? Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

From the version of Icarus' story that I've come across with, he fell but only after proving others wrong and helping to carry out a noble cause. Muchos gracias, amiga, for another unique review.
Last edited by Espie on 03 Nov 2018, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 06:24 I couldn't quite connect Icarus with any of the details, yet I'd just presume is part of the intended spoiler-free writing. Muchos gracias, amiga, for another unique review.
Ohhhhh! Muchos Gracias, amiga for understanding that twist of mine.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”